none
March Updates have servers stuck in In Progress "Pending System Restart" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a test lab set up with Configuration Manager 1810, to try out whether this will be a good tool for us to update our workstations and servers both.  I've installed the January and both Feburary hotfixes to Configuration Manager 1810, so my server is up to date.

I did a test deployment of the March Patch Tuesday updates to some select servers and workstations.  My workstations are all compliant.  My manual reboot servers are also compliant, but out of 16 servers set to auto-reboot, 3 are stuck in a "Pending System Restart" state, and have been for 8 days.

The servers have been rebooted multiple times, the machine policy retrieval and scan evaluations done multiple times, I've searched and found a VBScript and Powershell command which are supposed to force a compliance check and fix this problem, but I have had no luck getting these 3 servers to update their status.  Where should I be looking to try to figure out where the problem is?  Logs on the client or on the Configuration Manager server?  The logs from the client on one of the problem servers seem to indicate that the status messages are being forwarded to the MP, but my status reports remain unchanged.

Thanks!

Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:25 PM

Answers

• I just saw that my SCCM server had a hotfix update which was released on 3/15/19, but for some reason, didn't show up until today--or should I say, I didn't notice it until today.  I installed it, updated the clients on all of my test machines, and lo and behold, all of the servers that were stuck on "Pending System Restart" are now showing as fully compliant.
    • Marked as answer by Tesdall71 Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:57 PM

All replies

• How about the Statmgr.box is there any corrupt file in the inbox ?

does the MP has any errors in the IIS logs by any chance ?

Kamala kannan.c| Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” or Vote as Helpful if its helpful for you. |Disclaimer: This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights

Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:34 PM
  • Statmgr.box\futureq contains 3 .SVF files that are dated 3/21/2019 at 9:52AM.  Otherwise, the Statmgr.box and its subdirectories are empty.

The IIS logs are showing a lot of 500 errors when users are trying to access the /ccm_system_windowsauth/request path on port 443, and getting 401 errors to the same path but with no username shown.  Accesses from the same machines to the /ccm_system/request path are getting 200's.

What else should I be looking for?

• Edited by Tesdall71 Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:59 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Just to be clear, the scripts I'm trying to use to fix this compliance issue are found on this site:

https://serverfault.com/questions/597395/configuration-manager-sccm-clients-not-updating-their-status

These scripts do not appear to be working and I'm still looking for other solutions.

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:52 PM
  • I just saw that my SCCM server had a hotfix update which was released on 3/15/19, but for some reason, didn't show up until today--or should I say, I didn't notice it until today.  I installed it, updated the clients on all of my test machines, and lo and behold, all of the servers that were stuck on "Pending System Restart" are now showing as fully compliant.
    • Marked as answer by Tesdall71 Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:57 PM
  • I am battling this issue. Which hotfix was this?
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:31 PM