none
Universal Image and driver installation method (XP SP3)

Question

• Hi,

I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post in.

I'm currently putting together one image aimed for IBM/Lenovo laptops. I'm using WinPE 2.0, Imagex and sysprep (SP3) to prepare and capture the Image.

My question is regarding the best method of installing all the different drivers. I'm able to make it work on all the platforms, but what puzzles me is if there's any real difference between the various ways to install the drivers. Here's the possible ways to do it that I've come up with:

1. Install drivers for all the models with sysprep, using "
    OemPnPDriversPath". I've tried this with one model only, but I'm assuming it should work if I just put all the drivers in the paths defined? Basically, assuming it works, I don't see anything wrong with this, except for the longish string as the value, and it might not be the easiest one to keep up to date. For some inexplicable reason, I just don't like the idea of stuffing all the drivers there.

2. Use a batch file that runs after minisetup to install necessary drivers. This is what I'm using currently and it seems to work well for me, tried on several models. The only con with this I can see is, that all the different drivers take up more space in the image, which is not really a problem as it's installed over the network or from external hard drive.

3. Have sysprep boot in factory mode, then select proper sysprep.inf based on the model and proceed the same way as in the first item. Or optionally, install driver from a network resource. As far as I can see, this would be the way if I want to make the image easily updateable.

I don't have much experience dealing with images, so I'm not surprised if there are better ways to do it. I can't really tell any significant difference between these methods, though I'll have to admit I do have some more testing to do on the two first options. As far as I can see, the variables are mostly the size of the image, the time it takes to deploy it, how "neat" it is and how easy it is to maintain.

All input is appreciated!

-Jon
    Monday, November 17, 2008 6:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jon,

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues in this forum. As your issue is related to Windows XP, I suggest discussing it in our Windows XP newsgroup.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment&lang=en&cr=US

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:31 AM
  •  

Jon,

did you ever find your answer?  I am looking for the exact same thing.  I would love to hear what you have  so far.

Michael

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:31 PM
  • I haven't really found any more information on this.

For now, I've decided to install a couple of troublesome drivers (Intel TPM and Lenovo Fingerprint) with the OEMPnp... and the rest with a script that runs at the end of Sysprep.

At the moment that seems to work fine with me with at least two different models. If I don't run into any problems or don't find anything saying there's a much smarter way to do it, I'll go with this one.

Would love to hear about it if you learn useful though!

-jon
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:11 PM