none
DVD/CD Rom Device Manager message: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Question

• I recently tried to use my DVD/CD Rom drive and it isn't working properly.  I pulled up the device manager and it said:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I clicked on the 'Check for solutions' button and it searches for about 15 seconds and then it just disappears.  It doesn't open a browser with a solution.  The only Code 10 solution I could find on the microsoft website was for a USB port that wasn't functioning properly.  Any suggestions?

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:10 PM

All replies

• How old is this motherboard? What is the southbridge chipset? What brand is the chipset Intel / ATI / NVIDIA / VIA / SIS?

Was the Optical Disk Drive working during Vista Installation?

Did you recently install any CD / DVD burning / ripping applications? If so, have to tried uninstalling them and rebooting (one by one) to see if your ODDs are detected and functional again after rebooting?

Did you install any software from an XP CD? Perhaps it's not compatible with Vista, so try uninstalling it and rebooting to see if your ODDs function afterwards.

There are known issues with GEARASPIWDM.sys cd/dvd-burning filter (comes with iTunes and other cd/dvd-burning sw) interacting with other filters.

Is this a USB CD/DVD or an internal SATA/PATA ODD?

Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:15 AM
  • I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 that I bought in Feb 07.  I just "tried" to install my older HP 4570c scanner using the cd.  The install didnt work.  But now, the cd-rom doesnt work - I get a CODE 10 error.

Is there any help available?

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:04 AM