Can't Update Vista! Error 80072EFE

Question

• Recently I had a problem with Vista where I could not connect to any Microsoft website, including hotmail, msn messenger and live update.

In order to fix the problem I finally decided to do a fresh install which I have done, however I still get the same problems, unable to connect to any microsoft website, messenger, hotmail. Windows update gives me the error 80072EFE.

I did not install any programs after the fresh install, I tried to update windows right away.

Please help Sad I've scoured the net for any help regarding this and everything I turned up hasn't helped.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:08 PM

Answers

• bigjohn,

If you (or anyone else) still have this problem, then try running the fast and easy tdssrootkill tool in this thread (abuadnan's post).

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistaie/thread/0ce7c1e6-7ef2-48e1-b7c9-c8f1e97c71d5

Here is the direct link.....

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

It gets rid of a nasty trojan that many virus detectors dont detect.   The trojan causes more problems than just not being able to get updates.

Read the comments of the happy campers in that thread (bottom half) who ran that great program - its free and only takes 5 min. 

Spread the word if it worked for you too.   This is not getting the credit it deserves, and the result of that is alot of wasted time going around the problem through complex windows settings that dont remedy the trojan.
    • Proposed as answer by 26charlie Monday, October 18, 2010 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Perhaps the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article will offer some helpful troubleshooting suggestions:

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:03 PM

All replies

• If you are connecting to the internet with a router, a firmware update may be required for the router.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:46 PM
  • I am using a router however, right now I'm replying to you from a computer on the same network which can connect to all microsoft websites.

Thanks for trying to help though Smile
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Perhaps the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article will offer some helpful troubleshooting suggestions:

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Hi Guys,

hereunder a solution I found which proved to be working (I've modified the pending.xml ownership issue part and it worked for me after weeks of no solution...)

All credits to CogitoErgoSum on forums, hereunder his procedure with a
    slight modification:

I assume MS will deliver a patch sooner or later for this issue... however, I
    fixed it with the help of MS Support.

DISCLAIMER: This solution fixed the problem for me, I cannot guarantee it
    will fix it for anybody else! Moreover, renaming system files might corrupt
    your system!!!

The issue is that the WUA 3.0 (7.0.6000.374) upgrade is corrupted,
    essentially the system reports the WUA to be 7.0.6000.374 but the files on
    the disk are still from the old version (you can check some of the DLLs like
    wups.dll, wuaueng.dll etc... in the windows\system32) ... and you cannot
    install the WUA 3.0 even manually.

delete the following file:

C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the
    procedure to take ownership of the file:

run a command prompt with "Run as Administrator".
    Type in the following commands:

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

then delete the file
    Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from
    here:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

This should fix the Error 80073712 when the other solutions do not work.

Tried it yesterday and it worked just fine... got 14 updates since then...

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:15 AM
  • This error persists.
    I just restored an HP touchsmart - from the original restore CD's (just purchased from HP).  Other computers can contact windows update just fine, but this unit will not....
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:28 AM
  • bigjohn,

If you (or anyone else) still have this problem, then try running the fast and easy tdssrootkill tool in this thread (abuadnan's post).

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistaie/thread/0ce7c1e6-7ef2-48e1-b7c9-c8f1e97c71d5

Here is the direct link.....

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

It gets rid of a nasty trojan that many virus detectors dont detect.   The trojan causes more problems than just not being able to get updates.

Read the comments of the happy campers in that thread (bottom half) who ran that great program - its free and only takes 5 min. 

Spread the word if it worked for you too.   This is not getting the credit it deserves, and the result of that is alot of wasted time going around the problem through complex windows settings that dont remedy the trojan.
    • Proposed as answer by 26charlie Monday, October 18, 2010 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Thank you, thank you!!!!
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Were you like me and tried the microsoft settings adjustments first, before resorting to anything else you could find?

If anyone does a search in this forum for "80072efe", you will be amazed at how many duplicate threads there are with this same problem - but only a small few of them have effective fixes for it.   The majority of those categorized as "answered" are, imo, misleading people to try microsoft setings adjustments that, at best, will only direct them around the problem.  But the nasty trojan will still be there, causing other problems.   Its worse than nasty and has alot of other common symptoms, besides blocking communication to download updates.

I dont have alot to contribute as far as technical inputs, so since i was lucky enough to find the remedy on one of these pages, am doing what i can to spread the word about this most elegant fix.   What is confounding is how the experts aren't leading the way here and updating these threads - or somehow combining them to better help steer customers to the Real fix.   It shouldn't matter that the product isn't microsoft,so the reluctance to promote that (just for certain "fixes") will be telling.    I believe the experts here only have helping people as their priority, but is there something else that can compromise that, like product loyalty or accumulating points for every thread they can claim is "answered"??

Because many of these threads are Not answered and the time spent by the customers trying these boilerplate instructions.   IMO, Trying the tdss root killer tool should be the first thing suggested, unless someone can testify to it damaging their system.   Its so fast and easy for anyone to do that the experts should be the ones suggesting it, instead of one lone entity in the wind (me).   

My comment history isn't obsession in the classic sense but it is a determination to make a difference to help others with this trojan.   From reading these threads, the odds are good that there are many very frustrated users with this problem and believing they will have to reformat their drive to put this problem in the past, because they couldn't find effective help online.   I was considering buying a new computer, even though that was going to give me other financial problems guaranteed to replace one angst with another.   Thats why i was so glad to find a fix so elegant as this tool.    Can someone else help me spread the word?   I'll try to comment in a few "80072efe" threads a night, time permitting.    That will leave the other error threads without any help though - unless the experts could recognize this as fixing more symptoms than just 80072efe.     Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Thank you, thank you!  I had tried NUMEROUS things (each worked, but not completely).  This one finished up the ____!  I just wish people who are smart enough to make the malicious bs would channel their intelligence in better ways!!!!
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Thanks a lot, the kasperski solution for the error 80072efe works very well. It removed the trojan and the system is updating as normally as ever.

Thank you for this info.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:28 PM
  • worked like a charm 26charlie.  spread the word!
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Brilliant charlie, ive spent a whole week tryin to sort 80072efe problem, explorer.exe virus, and a host program stopping working, after 3 reinstalls, hours of reading, i got nowhere and almost give up.

After reading your post and following instructions my laptop seems perfect and it only took 10 mins and 4 clicks !!!!!! thank you very much

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Yip all is fine 108 updates, no viruses, no crashing, amazing, if u have the same problem this is defo the way to fix it, dont bother trying any other way cos ive already tried them, thank you charlie :)
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 1:17 AM
  • Thanks, worked great and updating now.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Thanks,  The download has done as you said it would.  I too will spread the word.

Thanks again

Friday, March 04, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Charlie you are the man! It took me 4 days to find this fix and you made it happen by reposting the info for us.. TYVM my man..
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Ran the program and it discovered and removed the trojan virus. Unfortunately did not fis windows update problem :( Thanks anyway for the tip.
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:22 PM
  • This is the single most useful thing I have found all week!  Cheers, Charlie!
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:45 PM