none
Windows 7 Starter edition clean install in a netbook , using his OEM key (Had windows 7 starter preinstalled, but now only has linux), and a Windows 7 Home premium DVD (or usb) ?

Question

• I have a Samsung Netbook with Windows 7 Starter preinstalled. But now i don't have windows in it.Only linux. I will buy a Windows 7 Home premium retail box (full version) for my desktop pc.

Could i create a USB stick from the windows 7 32bits dvd, and in some way instead of installing windows 7 home premium , install the starter version and use the oem key of the netbook ?

I have read that all the dvds have a file that if it is deleted let you to choose what edition install. It would be legal and technically possible to do this,install the starter edition and use the oem key that come with my netbook to have a Legal and Genuine windows 7 Starter in the netbook, and then perhaps do a anytime upgrade , or i have to get in contact with Samsung and send the netbook to them ?

I think the netbook didn't came with any cd, only with a recovery partition that i lost , when reformated the drive (a small mistake done), and know i only have debian in it.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:53 AM

Answers

• Well, i have just called samsung and they have give me a web page where download the windows 7 , and the ocult partition , and he says that i should then have windows 7 fully activated.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:21 AM
  • If to create the USB , in windows, i should install the graphic car driver or any driver just to create the usb.I think there are no updated drivers in the asus web for my mobo , so i could install the chipset,lan and a few drivers, woulddn't hurt.

My intention was to do this: Buy a Retail full version Box , install in my pc the windows 7 x32 or x64 depending what would be better for create the usb, and then using the 32 bits dvd create the windows 7 usb, and delete ei.cfg from the usb,so be able to install windows 7 starter.

Then use the usb to install windows 7 starter and the product key that i have in the netbook.

Then reformat pc, install 64 bit , and use his own product key , and use netbook to download all the drivers for the pc, included updated nvidia driver.

But as my netbook came with Windows 7 preinstalled , perhaps i can't do that (as perhaps have a certificate and a SLP oem key) , and i have to use the samsung recovery kit , as i call it.

Today i called samsung, i told them that i deleted the hide partition and the windows 7 because a mistake,and they give me a web page, where download a iso to burn it and install in the netbook to recover fully windows 7 and the hiden partition.

So, either for create the usb or burn the iso , i should better install first the basic drivers no ?

Windows 7 should detect majority of the device and assign drivers during the installation, unless there isn't drivers for a particular device (verify it under device manager) then you would need to install the particular drivers for the device. Or else is not necessary
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Well, i have just called samsung and they have give me a web page where download the windows 7 , and the ocult partition , and he says that i should then have windows 7 fully activated.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:21 AM
  • each Windows 7 DVD includes all editions. you can remove the ei.cfg file and install all editions you want. The work works for the Starter Edition.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:45 PM
  • To create the usb , once bought the retail box , i can just install windows in my pc,and fallow the method that is in technet to copy the dvd content to the usb formated using diskpart , and not need at all to install windows drivers no ? (i could use the mobo cd instead of download them although). But i don't need to install nvidia driver to create the usb. Perhaps only chipset driver, lan and a few more to be sure.
    • Proposed as answer by Jerome Thomas Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:23 PM
  • i don't understand what you want to tell me, sorry.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:46 PM
  • If to create the USB , in windows, i should install the graphic car driver or any driver just to create the usb.I think there are no updated drivers in the asus web for my mobo , so i could install the chipset,lan and a few drivers, woulddn't hurt.

My intention was to do this: Buy a Retail full version Box , install in my pc the windows 7 x32 or x64 depending what would be better for create the usb, and then using the 32 bits dvd create the windows 7 usb, and delete ei.cfg from the usb,so be able to install windows 7 starter.

Then use the usb to install windows 7 starter and the product key that i have in the netbook.

Then reformat pc, install 64 bit , and use his own product key , and use netbook to download all the drivers for the pc, included updated nvidia driver.

But as my netbook came with Windows 7 preinstalled , perhaps i can't do that (as perhaps have a certificate and a SLP oem key) , and i have to use the samsung recovery kit , as i call it.

Today i called samsung, i told them that i deleted the hide partition and the windows 7 because a mistake,and they give me a web page, where download a iso to burn it and install in the netbook to recover fully windows 7 and the hiden partition.

So, either for create the usb or burn the iso , i should better install first the basic drivers no ?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:37 PM

Windows 7 should detect majority of the device and assign drivers during the installation, unless there isn't drivers for a particular device (verify it under device manager) then you would need to install the particular drivers for the device. Or else is not necessary
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Fox, I have done exactly the same thing, I have the Samsung N210 and have accidently removed the hidden partition, so although I have a Windows 7 Starter code it seems useless. Any chance you could give me the link Samsung gave you please?

Cheers,

Matt

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Hi i have done the same thing . i have deleted the restore and hidden partition on my Samsung N210 by mistake.  mine came with Windows 7 starter preinstalled.  Please do you have the link for the iso to burn and install to recover the netbook

many thanks

Charlie

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Hi i have done the same thing . i have deleted the restore and hidden partition on my Samsung N210 by mistake.  mine came with Windows 7 starter preinstalled.  Please do you have the link for the iso to burn and install to recover the netbook

many thanks

Charlie

No such animal, I'm afraid.
    You need to order a set of recovery media from the manufacturer and use that to reinstall your machine.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:43 PM