none
Pinned items on Start Menu and Taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've built a Windows 10 image on a VM, booted it to Audit Mode using Shift + Ctrl + F3.

Manually installed software manually customized pinned items to Start Menu and Taskbar and change background etc...so that these settings get apply to all users but allow users to modify those customization at will, i.e. not lock down via GPO...

How do I achieve this task the Microsoft way? By the way, I'm only using SCCM and not MDT for deployment.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:24 AM

All replies

• Take a look at this blog post and let's me know if this helps. The next version of SCCM is really built for Windows 10. http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/05/04/announcing-support-for-windows-10-management-with-system-center-configuration-manager.aspx 

You might also review this info on Windows 10 and policy templates. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48257 Let me know if this info helps or I'll keep looking.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:02 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Blain.

I have SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1 in place so it's not a matter of deploying Windows 10 via SCCM nor I want to achieve this via GPO because I want users to be able to customize their Start Menu and Taskbar.

What I'm searching for is a way to build a golden image with a certain look and feel to Start Menu and Taskbar and deploy it to end users who might wish to customize their Taskbar and Start Menu further....

Thanks

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 3:17 AM
  • Not sure if this further helps you. LMK and I can keep seeking out possible solutions.

Some settings can be configured only by using the CopyProfile unattend setting, and other settings can be configured by using Group Policy.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:04 AM
  • Thanks for the link Blain.

I have been testing using CopyProfile and it keeps favorites, desktop shortcuts, background, and even pinned items on Start Menu but some how rearranged the order of the icons. Icons on Taskbar got wiped and replaced with default. Still testing Start Menu icons ......

The link you provided gave me the idea on how to capture reference image with DISM. I'll give that a go. Thanks for that.

1- Is there a way to customize Taskbar like pinned items via answer file?

2- How can I use CopyProfile in conjunction with capture media created by SCCM? Let me explain what I've tried so far... I built a reference image on a VM or physical computer, reboot to Audit Mode and installed apps and pinned items to Desktop and Start Menu. Then applied CopyProfile and rebooted back to Audit Mode and ran capture media manually inside Windows and captured the image. This might not be the proper way but I've tried it.

I've also tried CopyProfile and shutdown and get the computer to boot of capture media created by SCCM but didn't have any luck. It would not boot.

I've tried creating a Build and Capture Task Sequence in SCCM and deleted other steps except Prepare OS and Capture the Reference Machine but no luck there either.

I'm now testing the capturing with my old WDS server.

3- Is capturing using DISM the only recommended and supported method?

Thanks again Blain.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:33 PM
  • I've just captured another image with DISM (thanks to Blain for the link).

What's interesting is that none of my customization are there including Desktop background. I've captured 2 different images, one using DISM and another using WDS and both of them wiped customization. May be somehow the CopyProfile didn't apply?

I'm going to test my old scenario (may not be the correct way) of CopyProfile and reboot it back to Audit Mode and capture the image using capture media created by sccm within Audit Mode. The last time I tested this method, the customization sticks including Start Menu (even though it rearranged my pinned icons).

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to customize Start Menu and Taskbar :-)

Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:59 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issues where I'm using copyprofile in sysprep folder and as an sccm unattend file. 

I modified the start menu by clearing all default tiles and pinning a few Office and utilities tiles (12 medium tiles in 2 groups, in 3 columns and 2 rows). I have a very basic copyprofile.xml file (containing copyprofile = true option) in my Sysprep folder which is then used in a generalize /oobe /shutdown command prior to capturing the image. I deploy the image in my environment using an SCCM 2012 R2 CU1 task sequence with unattend file set to the same copyprofile XML.

All customized profile settings are carried over onto new profiles after deployment but the start menu is all messed up because the same tiles I chose are pinned, however they are not in the order (and groups) I put them in prior to capturing.

Injecting the XML file in C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell and then deploying the WIM file via DISM didn't solve the issue either because the pinned tiles where not in the order I set either. 

The following is my 'Layoutmodification' xml file:

<LayoutModificationTemplate Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
      <DefaultLayoutOverride>
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
            <start:Group Name="Utilities" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Windows.ControlPanel" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{1AC14E77-02E7-4E5D-B744-2EB1AE5198B7}\cmd.exe" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Windows.Shell.RunDialog" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{1AC14E77-02E7-4E5D-B744-2EB1AE5198B7}\logoff.exe" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.AutoGenerated.{29461002-13B9-698F-0958-1DA8FF4DCA13}" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.AutoGenerated.{89B6E0C3-9FC0-3FD0-41CB-27CB0929D561}" />
            </start:Group>
            <start:Group Name="Microsoft Office" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.15" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\POWERPNT.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSACCESS.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSPUB.EXE" />
            </start:Group>
          </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

This is my copyprofile.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:e:/sources/install.wim#Windows 10 Education VL" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Edited by DeniiseT Friday, September 4, 2015 6:50 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2015 6:38 AM
  • After trials and errors I got the Start Menu to work the way I wanted.

Each pinned item is unique. For some of those items, I had to copy them to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

This stopped my icons from rearrange themselves.

• Edited by sccmrules Friday, September 11, 2015 12:37 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 12:34 AM
  • Are your tiles divided into separate groups? Or do you have just 1 group for all your tiles in the start menu?
    Friday, September 11, 2015 10:47 AM
  • I just have 1 group.
    • Edited by sccmrules Monday, September 14, 2015 3:54 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Let me know if you got what you needed and mark as answered, thanks.
    Friday, September 25, 2015 1:37 AM