none
Shims to several machines RRS feed

• Question

• This is for some1 asking; seeking answer on their behalf.  Thanks

"I want ask how can we reuse SHIMS(fix mode) from Microsoft Application Compatibility toolkit5.5 when we have 100 computers. Is there any way shims(fixes) can be reused automatically in 100 computers at one go."
    Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Drew1903,

Do you mean if you created a shim with ACT 5.5 how you can distribute that shim to 100 computers in your company?
    If that is your question you can do it with the sdbinst.exe command.

So, in ACT 5.5 you save your shim as Sdb file.
    For example you save it to a File Share \\MyFileSever\Share\MyCompatFix.sdb

Next step is create a (startup script, SCCM Package, ... ) that executes the following command on all your 100 machines
    Sdbinst.Exe -q  \\MyFileSever\Share\MyCompatFix.sdb

A little remark you need to execute sdbinst with administrator priviliges afcourse.

Also the follwing whitepaper gives you some more guidance how you use shims in the enterprise.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e18807c2-2313-45ac-a614-b5549e73d0d8&displaylang=en

Kind Regards
    DFT

IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:58 AM
  • Hi. 

The person is now asking....

"Can you give me an example or can send me a Sample Script. So that i can use that Script and manage my Different Shims.

Thanks."

Can you do this, for him, 'DAft'?

Thanks, in advance, from me...

Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues
    • Proposed as answer by Yves Bertholet Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:05 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Yves Bertholet Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:06 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:39 PM
  • Drew1903,

The whitepaper from above contains a script to install a shim.
    If you want a more specific example i need a lot more information about theire envroiment & how they want to deploy the shims(startup script, SCCM package ...).

Kind Regards
    DFT

IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:14 AM
  • I just made such a script for sccm:

@echo off
    echo LC3OG3 Compatibility Shim
    set logfile=%_logs%\%~nx0.log
    echo [%date%.%time%]: Start of [%~f0] in context [%USERNAME%]                   > %LOGFILE%  2>&1
    ::---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    echo [%date%.%time%]: About to copy the compatibility DB locally                  >> %LOGFILE% 2>&1
    copy /y "%~dp0..\ACTDB\Centura.sdb" "C:\Windows\appatch\Centura.sdb"                 >> %LOGFILE% 2>&1
    echo [%date%.%time%]: About to activate the shim                      >> %LOGFILE% 2>&1
    Sdbinst.Exe -q  -n "C:\Windows\appatch\Centura.sdb"                     >> %LOGFILE% 2>&1
    ::---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    echo [%date%.%time%]: end of [%~f0]                          >> %LOGFILE% 2>&1
    exit 0

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:07 AM