none
Permissions and TrustedInstaller

Question

• I installed Vista RTM to partition C and now I'm trying to remove earlier Vista RC1 from D. I have deleted all folders except Program Files, ProgramData and Windows. If I try to delete these, the errormessage after all UAC confirmation windows is: "You need permission to perform this action". I don't want to format partition D because of there is also data I don't want to remove, so what should I do to delete these folders? I have tried to change ownership to admin group, as well as give full rights to admin group to these folders but no help.

The second question: I changed the owner of a folder from TrustedInstaller to admin. Now I try to set TrustedInstalled again to the owner, but I can't find it when using "Select users and groups": what's the right location? Or how should I do that?

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:10 AM

Answers

• Firstly, you have to move these files you need from D: to another place temporarily until you perform a format from command prompt with this command line: "format D:/x" so that you couldn't get UAC warning messages.

For 2nd problem, you can pefrom following:

From Security Tab in Properites of folder you want to change >>Click Advanced >>Select Owner >>Click Edit >>Click Other users or Groups >>Click Advanced >>Click Find Now

Then select the owner you'd like to add and apply.

Good luck

Sunday, December 10, 2006 1:17 PM

All replies

• Firstly, you have to move these files you need from D: to another place temporarily until you perform a format from command prompt with this command line: "format D:/x" so that you couldn't get UAC warning messages.

For 2nd problem, you can pefrom following:

From Security Tab in Properites of folder you want to change >>Click Advanced >>Select Owner >>Click Edit >>Click Other users or Groups >>Click Advanced >>Click Find Now

Then select the owner you'd like to add and apply.

Good luck

Sunday, December 10, 2006 1:17 PM
  • TrustedInstaller does not exist in the "visible" users and groups as it runs as an NT Service.  To restore:

• Right mouse button click on the file and choose Properties
    • Click Security tab
    • Click Advanced button
    • Click Owner tab
    • Click Edit button
    • Click Other User or Group and type in NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller
    • Press Ok on all dialogs until all property dialogs are closed

Cited from http://blogs.msdn.com/irenak/archive/2007/01/30/sysk-277-how-to-bring-back-the-trustedinstaller.aspx

• Proposed as answer by bwt Tuesday, August 04, 2009 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, March 06, 2007 3:28 PM
  •  

That's incredible!

As an administrator on my own home based PC I can not delete a particular file that is not a part of OS without formatting a partition. Good job, Vista Team...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:14 PM
  • I completely agree.

I have the e_x_a_c_t same problem.

A bunch of files in a bunch of folders inside a parent folder which Vista in all its omnipotency won't allow me to delete despite my login being the owner _a_n_d_ having full permissions on folders and files.

Microsoft or MVPs, can we please have an answer here on how this is solved? Or do I have to re-format my drive to get rid of these files?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:14 PM
  • The only solution I have found is to drill down to the lowest directory and delete one at a time, going up to the root.

Monday, December 01, 2008 6:47 PM
  •  I have encounterd this same problem while trying to build a Vista based trading workstation.
    First try locked up and lost keyboard and mouse.  Auto repair just made things worse.  Finally reinstalled,
    but left C drive intact, since it had some folder I wanted.  Found a Boot directory apparently leftover from the
    auto repair effort.  Tried to remove Boot directory after changing owner from TrustedInstaller.  Still cannot
    remove.  Only recourse I see is to reformat the drive.

This is what I mean by Technocrap-technology that almost works.  In my long carrer I've never seen a situation
    where I as an administrator lost control of my own machine. Ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Have tried the above and still get an ERROR!
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:50 PM
  • This ridiculous! Should be able to easily change/delete any file or folders that I want to?  Why have we NOT received a way to do this?????

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:56 PM
  •  I know the last post was 9 months ago but the thread was not closed and I wondered if you had found your solution to your problem?
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:42 AM
  • I also know the last post was 2 years and 8 months ago and there is likely no-one reading or interested anymore, but I have just bought a new machine, custom built to my specifications, with Window 7 Ultimate (No I'm not installing Windows 8) and on the desktop is an icon for the browserchoice.exe file, held in the admin$\system32 folder.

If you want to delete this file, don't worry about trying to manipulate the users and groups, especially the super-hidden ones, like TrustedInstaller. All you need to do is go to the properties of the file you want to delete, take ownership of it; upgrade the permissions of the administrator to include FC (Full Control), or add in the user you are logged on as, if it is not already it the list and give that user Full Control, then delete the file. Simples! :-)

Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:20 AM