none
Windows 7 restart loop and installation problem

Question

• I tried to do a clean install of Windows 7 on my CompaPresario A901 TU laptop. And faced numerous problems. Below is a list.

1. I got the 'select cd-rom boot type' error. I could proceed after pressing 1 then Enter. Then at the point of restart during installation, it asked for the same thing againa and I entered option 1 to boot from CD.

2. Installation was somehow completed, but windows abruptly shuts down (without warning) and restarts. I disabled automatic restart, but no help. It does the same till now.

3. If I try to do a clean install again, it does not

4. I tried to get BIOS utility from Compaq support site. But there is no bios utility for Windows 7 yet. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3641187&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&query=presario%20a901tu

I need a solution to at least do a clean install again. I have backed up all data so I can format while installing windows. But this is not helping.

• Changed type Sudhir Kulkarni Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:17 PM Stuck with installation
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:17 PM

All replies

• When the computer reboots, the first thing you see is the manufacturer splash screen (on most computer boots). Once your are past the splash screen the computer runs a self test to make sure there is RAM, a process, a hard drive etc etc... Right after the splash screen hit F8. This should bring up some alternate booting options. One of those options should be DISABLE AUTOMATIC RESTART ON SYSTEM FAILURES.

This will halt the next boot when it blue screen (BSOD). Sounds like this is the issue you are having. These can be caused by incorrect mass storage device drivers not loaded into your operating system... Or bad hardware configurations not compatible with your OS... or any other problem, really. The most common is going to be 0x0000007b. You will need to change your hard drive configurations to ATA from  BIOS to get this machine to start up. However, once you perform these steps report back what the error code is and let's see if we can work it out further.

• Proposed as answer by willy_zeng Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Thank you for the response.

You are a star. I did this and yes on the blue screen error is 0x0000007b.

Here is the complete text.

*** STOP:  0x0000007b(0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000)

What can I do next?

Other thing I noticed is SATA native support is disabled in my bios. If I enable on, I am getting the blue screen for sure. While disabled, I can cat least boot in safe mode and run the computer for some time.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Joe, any advice on next steps? I have tried downloading updated drivers from Intel webesite etc. Anything haven't worked yet.

Would a ticket with Microsoft help?

• Proposed as answer by ChicoMalo12 Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ChicoMalo12 Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Hello. One of the reasons could be: incompatible RAM, if u have 667, try to install a lower freq memory. Second, could be the HDD. Third, the DVD+ROM drive, if is not multispeed compatible, u cannot install W7. Other reasons: BIOS not properly config. Disable CACHE in BIOS. Try HDD IDE mode , RAID and SATA. Best option is IDE mode. Other thing you can do is: if you have an original CD with Windows XP, install XP, then, run the W7 original DVD from XP, not from boot sequence. And last advice. - create a HDD partition 60-120GB, depends of your HDD size. Your HDD may be damaged, a partition could solve the problem. Tell me how is going. Good luck.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:21 PM
  • were you able to get this issue resolved? As I assumed, it was the mass storage error (07b) and can be fixed by changing the sata operation to ATA instead of AHCI or IRRT (Raid On) mode within BIOS. Once the configuration change is made, that would provide you with a temporary fix and would allow the OS to boot. Otherwise, you will need to inject the mass storage driver offline using add-driver command in DISM (Deployment Image Servicing & Management).

Here is a link on How-To Add/Remove Drivers Offline using DISM.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by _JoeG Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:36 AM