none
Error installing SP1 Public - 0x80071A90

Question

• I downloaded the 5 languages standalone SP1.
    I ran it, the computer restarted about 4 times then on part 3 of 3, the installation displayed: SP1 could not be installed, restoring. (or something like that)
    After anoter reboot I got to login in my computer and I got this error message:

Install Windows Service Pack
    -------------
    Installation was not successful
    Windows Visa Service Pack1 was not installed on your computer.
    Error code: 0x80071A90. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId-101139 for detrails.
    -------------
    Finish

My computer is an Acer aspire 5672
    Intel core duo 1.66
    2gb ram
    Windos vista business, nod32 antivirus and comodo firewall pro 3.0
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:13 AM

Answers

• I've spoken with the developer who is responsible for this portion of the installation.  A remedy is being put into the final product, but for now, there really isn't much that can be done if it happens consistently.  I'd suggest either waiting for the final product, or trying again from a new clean Vista installation.  Thank you for reporting this issue!  This is certainly helping us make the final release of SP1 as robust as possible
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:32 PM

All replies

• Same error here...

I after several attemts to install sp1 which ended with error 0x80070005, I uninstalled F-Secure Internet Security 2008 and now I am stuck again, this time with error 0x80071A90...
    Friday, December 14, 2007 3:27 PM
  • I have an Aspire 5102LMi, running Vista Home Premium and encountered exactly the same problem.  I tried using the standalone installer a number of times and then tried it through wUpdate, as was recommended in various places, with the same result.  I also tried various things I found by searching online, turned off everything I could (AV, firewall, windows defender, UAC etc etc) and though the process times and number of reboots varied somewhat it just wouldn't install..  The couple of occasions where it seemed to have almost got there it just eventually failed, went into 'reverting' the system mode and caused even more problems. 

I got very annoyed.

In shere frustration I decided to clean install Vista from disk.  Previously I have run the system with pretty much the Acer factory settings with most of the bundled nonsense still in place, with a few tweaks, but then I have the notebook dual booting into XP which I continue to use most of the time anyway.  The clean install of Vista gave me an immediate noticeable performance improvement, and actually took less time than restoring the Acer factory settings from the recovery partition..  I then immediately installed sp1 rc through Update, which worked first time and took a bit less than an hour.

And now...

Overall, it's like a completely different system.  Previously I was starting to think of the pre service pack Vista as something of a style over content state of affairs, but my opinion has been changing throughout today.  I have always liked the way Vista looks and many of the features but the slow boot and shutdown times drove me mad and there seemed to be a general sluggishness about it, not really helped by things like UAC; No such problems now though...

So my advice is (for what it's worth), if sp1 rc won't install and you're running your system like I was, waiting for the service pack with an OS bloated with extranious software from whoever, just save the stuff you need then wipe it all and start again..  I was 24 hrs or so watching sp1 rc not install, but managed to clean install Vista and update to sp1 in about 2 hrs.  And for the first time since I got this notebook in April I am actually considering using Vista everyday, release candidate of sp1 not withstanding.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:58 PM
  •  

A few obscure things can cause 1A90, but the likely culprit is some unknown application holding onto a handle in a directory the installer is trying to install to.  If you are running AV software, can you try disabling it and trying again?
    Monday, December 17, 2007 9:41 PM
  • I already disabled the firewall and the antivirus. Still no luck.
    I only have few apps installed, I will try to disable them all (at least the ones that have a service or a startup entry) and see what happens.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Is there a way to enable some kind of logging or debugger in order to identify the directory/handle causing the fault?
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:36 AM
  • I've spoken with the developer who is responsible for this portion of the installation.  A remedy is being put into the final product, but for now, there really isn't much that can be done if it happens consistently.  I'd suggest either waiting for the final product, or trying again from a new clean Vista installation.  Thank you for reporting this issue!  This is certainly helping us make the final release of SP1 as robust as possible
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Hi George I have tried installing 4 times now - the last time using MSConfig to disable McAffee etc it failed again after reaching 10% on the 3rd pass as before.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Thanks George for your reply.
    I disabled everything I could and still couldn't install the SP1.
    I will just wait for the final version.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:30 PM
  • The remedy you mention is obiously not yet part of SP1 RC1 Build 6001.18000

I tried to install this SP1 release and end up with the same error message.

Friday, February 1, 2008 9:20 AM
  • the 0x80071A90 error still exists (at least for me) in the offical public release of vista SP1 downloaded on march 18th 2008  from here.

Any idea on how to fix the problem.

Thanks
    Dan
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:16 PM
  • I could only resolve the problem with a complete re-installation of Vista.  Fortunately, you do not loose data or installed programs, if you use the "Vista upgrade" procedure.
    The likely cause of the installation failure is a misbehaving driver or driver setup, but unfortunately microsoft is quite secretive about the culprits so that it is nearly impossible to identify it.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:31 AM
  • I am not ready to do that... yet.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Might help some folks - I got stuck on stage 2 with the same error. Did a bit of research and found that removing the application Sandboxie sorted everything out. Installed just fine after that.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:51 PM
  • hot damn that might just be it.  I have sandboxie installed, but i never use it.

I'll post my results.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Uninstalling sandboxie did the trick.  I now have Sp1 installed.

Thanks
    Friday, March 21, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Credit where credit is due - I got the idea from this thread:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3040129&SiteID=17

Glad it worked.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:04 AM
  • I checked whether sandboxie is installed but unfortunately it was not installed & hence was just checking whether windows update & cryptographic service was started & found that windows update service had been stopped hence i restarted the windows update service & tried to install sp1,Guess what i sucessfully installed sp1.

hope this works for others as well

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:41 PM