none
Clients Not Receiving Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm building a new SCCM Current Branch (1806) environment. It's a single site, with 4 physical locations - one in London (where the site server is), and the others in different countries. Each has its own distribution point.

We have an existing SCCM 2012 R2 site, with the same setup, and rather than upgrading it, I decided to build a new one (obviously with a different site code and name). The 2012 site works perfectly.

The problem I'm having (with the new site) is that clients in remote locations aren't picking up Windows updates. The London clients all seem fine, though.

On the remote clients, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" is empty, whereas on the London clients, it's populated with the SUP's details.

All clients have the same GPOs applied, and there isn't (and has never been) a GPO to configure the WSUS server.

On the remote clients, I can Telnet onto the configured WSUS ports on the site server, and I can access these URLS:

http://SUPServer.domain.com:XXXX/Selfupdate/wuident.cab
    http://SUPServer.domain.com:XXXX/ClientWebService/wusserverversion.xml
    http://SUPServer.domain.com:XXXX/SimpleAuthWebService/SimpleAuth.asmx

So there seem to be no communication or firewall issues involved.

I don't see any errors in UpdatesDeployment.log, UpdatesHandler.log, or WUAHandler.log, and nothing seems amiss in PolicyAgent.log, PolicyAgentProvider.log, or PolicyEvaluator.log either.

I've done plenty of Googling on this issue, and none of the suggested answers seem to fit. Can anyone help me figure this out?

I'm not sure how much more detail to include in this first post, but please ask if you need more info. on the set up.

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:40 AM

Answers

• Okay, never mind, I've figured it out now.

It seems I hadn't fully understood how Software Update Point affinity works in current versions of SCCM.

All I had to do was go into each boundary group's properties, and add the SUP server as a site system server in the References tab.

Although I still have to see if they actually start receiving the updates.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by David556 Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:04 PM

All replies

• Okay, never mind, I've figured it out now.

It seems I hadn't fully understood how Software Update Point affinity works in current versions of SCCM.

All I had to do was go into each boundary group's properties, and add the SUP server as a site system server in the References tab.

Although I still have to see if they actually start receiving the updates.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by David556 Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:04 PM
  • Okay, all seems good now. Issue resolved.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:39 PM
  • Hi David,

Clients use boundary groups to find a new software update point. To control which servers a client can find, add individual software update points to different boundary groups.
    If you install a new site, software update points aren't added to the default site boundary group, so you should assign software update points to a boundary group so that clients can find and use them.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:18 AM
  • HI, I have similar issue here. I have one Primary Site server with SUP installed on it and another remote DP on US location for US PROD VM's.

All associated VM's with primary site server/SUP are working OK but all clients (VM's) associated with US DP, not getting any software updates.

I have verified all log files on client machines, but didn't find any error log/warning log.

I have redistributed package on remote DP, and now its in progress.

Anything else I should check?

Rahul Sapke.

Monday, September 16, 2019 10:57 AM