none
win 7 installed 32 instead of 64 bit. How doI fix?

Question

• Hi

I recently installed win 7 on my desktop.  The screen seemed poor quality and when I looked I realised I had installed the 32 bit disk instead of the 64 bit disk.  I have tried to install from the right disk but it wont let me. 

I think I need to reformat but am not sure how to do that with win7. 

I have win 7 ultimate. My computer is 64 bit.

Any ideas please?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:28 AM

All replies

• firstly you can't tell the difference by only looking the screen. That is, except you opened start menu and see there are two Internet explorers (one with 64-bit designation)

You need to do a reinstallation from scratch to change to 64-bit. About your screen seemed of poor quality, you may need graphic card driver.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Thank you for your response. I really appreciate your time.

I noticed the screen looked different to my laptop.  I was expecting to reformat the hdd.  This didnt happen.  I used the first of the two disks thinking I would have to use both.  I couldnt see any difference in the disks, except today i realised that the top one was the 32 bit and the bottom one was the 64b bit. I had used the 32 bit. I tried to reinstall with the 64 bit disk. It would not let me.  I checked my computer and it is an AMD 62 bit.  The computer I am fairly certain has a good graphic card and driver - it has been running vista with dual monitors with no problems playing games or videos. 

If you could enlighten me how to 'reinstall from scratch" I would be most grateful.  I would like to do this not just to fix the 64 bit problem but to clean off the hdd as I backed up everything for the upgrade expecting to start from scratch. I dont need a windows.old file. [its huge]

:-)

• Edited by janjar Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:09 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:41 PM
  • I took you as a newbie in installing Windows. So, I try to explain it as basic as I can. Maybe your best bet is to boot into Windows, insert the 64-bit disc, then restart the computer. When a message is shown (probably something like this: Press ESC to select device to boot, Press DEL to enter setup), just follow the instruction to select a device to boot press it continuously until that screen is gone. Wait for a few secs, select your optical drive. When prompted to press any key to boot from DVD or CD, do so. You are entering setup. When presented "Where to install Windows", delete all the partition, until one single line said "Unpartitioned drive" (you can actually customise the HDD at this stage too, but the explanation would be too complicated). Select it, then continue (NEXT)
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi janjar,

To confirm which version of your system, right-click the computer choose Properties, under System, check the system type. There's no AMD 62 bit version.

Meanwhile, it seems you have the display issue, update the driver to the latest one could be first method.

For how to reinstall the Windows 7, here's the detailed information: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/install-reinstall-uninstall 

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya YaoModerator Monday, March 28, 2011 11:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by janjar Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:53 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:46 AM
  • The screen seemed poor quality? I don't think the 32-bit is the reason... If you don't have to a good reason (wanted to use 64bit only software, 16gb ram...) i think staying with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 is not a bad idea... The poor screen quality is maybe caused by the missing of the correct videocard drivers...

You cannot update ur system to another architecture. The only option is, indeed, reinstalling your W7.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Thank you everybody for your responses and your considerations.     I will try again to reinstall win 7 64 bit.  I am still uncertain how to do this successfully as when i attempted it would not let me because win 7 32 bit was already installed [by mistake]. 

I have been working away from home so have not had a chance to have another go.

I made a mistake when communicating before when i stated 62 bit.. it was merely a typo. I meant 64 bit. I apologise for that error.

I had already checked my system to check what it is and it is 64 bit.    The display was not so much an 'issue' as an observation which led  me to explore if  something was amiss.

It was then i discovered i had used the wrong disk and tried to rectify.  I went through all the processes I am aware of trying to re-install then trying to reformat - to no avail.  I havent reformatted a computer for many years and find that with win7 it is not so easy. 

Thank you again for your input and your time.  

Problem not yet solved but hopefully by re visiting the microsoft page I will find my solution.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:05 PM