none
BSOD on first boot after deployment - No minidump RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a BSOD problem when a machine has just had Windows installed.

• Windows has never started properly, blue screens on first start after installing.
    • There is no MINIDUMP file after BSOD.
    • There is no other DMP file, as the pagefile has not been created yet (this is expected).
    • The BSOD error is consistent, and happens regardless of what SAFE MODE settings I choose.

Exact issue as the following technet post, but no resolution:

• http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/621b692d-7875-46fb-8818-3d174c5c0c84/bsod-upon-first-boot-after-imaging?forum=w7itproinstall

BSOD shows the following technical information:

• STOP: 7E(C0000005,0,8E3C3A98,8E3C3670)
    • There is no other information (i.e. no DLL or SYS file that is reported as causing the issue).

How can I diagnose this error?

I'm guessing it's a driver issue, but this gives me no real clues!

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:49 AM

Answers

• Yep, I have had this issue. The fault is how the drivers are written. If they were to specify SUBSYS values it wouldn't happen. I can't put the newer USB3 drivers in the image if the old ones are there. Instead I will install the driver package during deployment if the hardware requires it.
    • Marked as answer by MrBeatnik Friday, May 16, 2014 3:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 1:45 PM

All replies

• If its a new installation i would suggest you to check the DVD first, if its fine then you can install OS again. It'll be hard to predict the issue without having mini dump.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:43 AM
  • Yeah, it's not a CD, its a WDS deployment which works fine on other hardware.

It's a driver issue of some kind, I'm fairly sure, but there must be some way of obtaining more information...?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:07 PM
  • I'm thinking it may be the driver to the disk controller. You may want to try the image on another similar model pc. if that works and didn't work on another model, the incorrect driver may have been used when windows first set up.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:11 PM
  • I have seen this when incompatible or conflicting mass storage or USB3 drivers are injected into the image.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:19 PM
  • I have seen this when incompatible or conflicting mass storage or USB3 drivers are injected into the image.

It is the USB3 drivers in this case (one of the first things I checked after following clues from the LKGC folders).New USB3 drivers working on another device OK, but not on this hardware. Makes you wonder why the INF is referencing the DEV_ID.

As per the original question, I would still be interested in an official method of diagnosing this error without any minidump.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Hello,

Is it a new HD?  Typically BSOD's with the number 7 as the second to last character, (ex. 0x7B) are HD related.  Did you try running a chkdsk /F /R on the drive?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:46 PM
  • The problem is as follows:

• 1 hardware is using the 8 series Intel chipset.
    • 1 hardware is using the 7 series Intel chipset.
    • There are different USB3 drivers for 7 and 8 series.

Adding both sets of USB3 drivers (7 and 8 series) to the Windows image causes the issue BECAUSE the 7 series chipset picks the 8 series drivers!

Particularly, the iusb3hub.inf in both driver sets appear to be the same. This INF is not using the DEV/VEN IDs, but rather CLASSGUID (from my understanding) which is the same on both series 7 and 8.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:57 AM
  • Yep, I have had this issue. The fault is how the drivers are written. If they were to specify SUBSYS values it wouldn't happen. I can't put the newer USB3 drivers in the image if the old ones are there. Instead I will install the driver package during deployment if the hardware requires it.
    • Marked as answer by MrBeatnik Friday, May 16, 2014 3:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Wow, that is annoying!

Never had an issue like that over.... 10 images over the last 10 years!

May raise an issue with Intel on this, but I wont expect much...

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Intel has confirmed this issue; you cannot use both drivers in the same image to support both chipsets.

I have also reported this issue to HP, which we are partnered with, in case they have any possible sway with Intel, which I doubt.

Friday, May 16, 2014 3:11 PM