none
Reduce size of Windows Security log RRS feed

• Question

• Since 1903 the Security log can only be set above the default 20480. Setting it to 1028 results in the message below.

'The maximum log size is not valid it is too large or too small. the maximum log size will be set to the following 20480 KB'

I have tried the Group Policy but that doesn't work.  Just in case anyone knows a workaround ......

Saturday, January 11, 2020 1:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

Before going further, would you please tell more information about the following questions to narrow down the problem?

Did you configure the group policy under the local policy edit or the domain group policy?

When you said it doesn't work ,did you mean that the policy did't apply or the policy applied but doesn't work?

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 8:21 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your response. I used the Local Group Policy as I am not a member of a domain.  The GP returns the same error message that the security log issues. All other logs can be successfully set to a lower value using just the log properties function. 

The main reason for wanting a smaller security log in my local environment is that I am flooded with 5379 information messages and the security log grows inappropriately. 

I have, in the past, always been able to set the security log to 1028.

Friday, January 17, 2020 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

I did some research for this , and found that "Log file sizes must be a multiple of 64 KB",I would recommend you change the size to 1024, and check the result.

If you have any progress, welcome to share here!

Best Regards,
    Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:16 AM
  • Thanks, it is Windows that enforces the lowest value of 1028, except for the security log where the lowest value is 20480. As you can calculate, neither are multiples of 64. 
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

When you edit the size through the group policy, you will find that all the number is the multiples of 64.

The following link for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd349798(v=ws.10)#maximum-log-size-kb

Best Regards,

Fan

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:20 AM
  • I believe that you are looking at another version of windows (sorry if this is incorrect).

I am referring to Windows 10 1903 and above. 

I can assure you that he actual problem is the inability to reduce the size of Security log below 20480. You can easily reproduce this on any Win 10 1903> installation through the log properties dialogue or by using the GP edit.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:01 AM
  • Hello,

Use the Feedback hub tool to report the issue.

Yes this is reproducible

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:31 PM
  • Thanks Darrell, I am unfamiliar with the  Feedback hub tool can you give me a pointer? Cheers.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:40 PM
  • Hello,

Click on the start button and scroll down to the Feedback Hub application.

This sends the customer feedback information directly back to Microsoft, the more feedback they get from customers, the more likely a bug will be fixed

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:09 PM
  • Done, thanks, will now close.
    • Marked as answer by Rich Verne Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:37 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:37 AM