none
question about creating Autounattend answe rfile to make unattended windows 7 installation DVD

Question

• hi friends

via Windows SIM (system image manager) i am trying to make an Autounattend answer file & write it at the root of windows 7 installation DVD. i want system itself automatically select windows 7 ultimate to be installed. i don't want system show UI to user to select which edition of windows to install.

for this purpose i don't know in which section of windows SIM console, i can define that win dvd is in which drive & which edition i need to be installed automatically.

( is it here?---> OSImage----> MetaData---->InstallFrom)

another question---> suppose i found how to define for system that my win installation is e:. but a problem here, when other client inserts this dvd into its computer, maybe in his computer dvd rom drive is letter f:.   how i can define for system to read from installation dvd ? (no matter what is its drive letter )

• Edited by john.s2011 Monday, June 30, 2014 7:09 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 7:03 AM

Answers

• Is it a stock DVD or a custom one? if it is a stock one, you don't need the InstallFrom\Path element. Setup already knows where the install.wim is supposed to be located. For the Key value, you can specify the index number or the image name, for example you can try changing this to ULTIMATE:

<ImageInstall>
                    <OSImage>
                        <InstallFrom>
                            <MetaData wcm:action="add">
                                <Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>
                                <Value>Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL</Value>
                            </MetaData>
                        </InstallFrom>
                    </OSImage>
                </ImageInstall>

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you create a combined Windows 7 DVD which contains all edition of Windows?

If yes, you may could use image index to select the specific edition in answer file.

code is below:

<ImageInstall>
                    <OSImage>
                        <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
                        <InstallFrom>
                            <Path>.\Operating Systems\Windows 7 x86\Sources\install.wim</Path>
                            <MetaData>
                                <Key>/image/index</Key>
                                <Value>the index number you want</Value>
                            </MetaData>
                        </InstallFrom>
                    </OSImage>
                </ImageInstall>

The second question:

I don't think you can define that win dvd is in which drive. Because booting from DVD depends on your BIOS setting instead of any drive letter.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Did you create a combined Windows 7 DVD which contains all edition of Windows?

If yes, you may could use image index to select the specific edition in answer file.

code is below:

<ImageInstall>
                    <OSImage>
                        <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
                        <InstallFrom>
                            <Path>.\Operating Systems\Windows 7 x86\Sources\install.wim</Path>
                            <MetaData>
                                <Key>/image/index</Key>
                                <Value>the index number you want</Value>
                            </MetaData>
                        </InstallFrom>
                    </OSImage>
                </ImageInstall>

The second question:

I don't think you can define that win dvd is in which drive. Because booting from DVD depends on your BIOS setting instead of any drive letter.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

hi karen thanks for your guidance.

yes that DVD has includes all editions of windows 7.

is there any tools to find what is the index number of any of those editions in DVD?

about DVD drive letter, in the <install from>---> <path> section of answer file, what should i write exactly? if i don't mistake i need to specify the exact path of windows image file which starts with drive letter & then the rest of the path. for example  D:\sources\install.wim

if i only write <path>sources\install.wim</path> without specifying DVD drive letter, can setup find install.wim? i really need the entire installation process be unattended & automatic. 

thanks in advance

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:42 AM
  • Is it a stock DVD or a custom one? if it is a stock one, you don't need the InstallFrom\Path element. Setup already knows where the install.wim is supposed to be located. For the Key value, you can specify the index number or the image name, for example you can try changing this to ULTIMATE:

<ImageInstall>
                    <OSImage>
                        <InstallFrom>
                            <MetaData wcm:action="add">
                                <Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>
                                <Value>Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL</Value>
                            </MetaData>
                        </InstallFrom>
                    </OSImage>
                </ImageInstall>

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:44 PM
  • You can use the DISM command /get-wiminfo to find out image name and index info.

e.g. dism /get-wiminfo /WimFile:"D:\sources\install.wim"

Monday, July 13, 2015 6:43 PM