none
Windows 7 can't find my audio device

Question

• Installed 64-bit Windows 7 to my hp pavilion dv800...everything works great except it can't find my audio device at all. It's like I have no aduio card at all in the machine. I've downloaded every audio driver that's on th HP website but i keep getting the error that it can't find the media device. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Friday, October 09, 2009 8:12 PM

Answers

• sorry, i meant a dv8000...and i downloaded the 32-bit Vista drivers as well and they didn't work...i'm sure it has to do something with the fact that when i go to my Device Manager there no Sound hardware icon there at all, so for whatever reason Windows 7 seems to think I don't have a sound card in my machine. I've searched the HP website and gooogle and can't seem to find what audio card is in this machine...its all very weird, i had sound before 7, now i don't even have a sound card supposedly.

If you installed 64-bit Win 7 the 32-bit driver absolutely will not install.  You need 64-bit drivers for 64-bit Windows.  Win 7 doesn't see you audio device because you don't have a 64-bit driver package for it.  Unfortunately Conexant doesn't post their drivers for public download, so you must contact HP Support to see if there is a Win 7 x64 driver available - that's your only solution.

There is a Vista 64-bit driver @ http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=ob-47663-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN you can try.  No guarantee it will work.
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:52 AM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:42 PM

All replies

• You need to check the model of your laptop.  HP does not have a DV800 anywhere on their website, so it's impossible to find out which audio device you have.

When you identify you correct model you need to go to HP Support (Customer Care) and find the drivers for your laptop.  I looked at the DV8000 downloads and they don't list any 64-bit driver for the DV8000.  They do have an audio driver for 32-bit Vista.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 9:23 PM
  • sorry, i meant a dv8000...and i downloaded the 32-bit Vista drivers as well and they didn't work...i'm sure it has to do something with the fact that when i go to my Device Manager there no Sound hardware icon there at all, so for whatever reason Windows 7 seems to think I don't have a sound card in my machine. I've searched the HP website and gooogle and can't seem to find what audio card is in this machine...its all very weird, i had sound before 7, now i don't even have a sound card supposedly.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 9:30 PM

If you installed 64-bit Win 7 the 32-bit driver absolutely will not install.  You need 64-bit drivers for 64-bit Windows.  Win 7 doesn't see you audio device because you don't have a 64-bit driver package for it.  Unfortunately Conexant doesn't post their drivers for public download, so you must contact HP Support to see if there is a Win 7 x64 driver available - that's your only solution.

There is a Vista 64-bit driver @ http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=ob-47663-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN you can try.  No guarantee it will work.
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:52 AM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:42 PM
  • EDIT: i found the solution. Download sp35908.exe of of HP website for windows vista (32 bit or 64 bit)
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:45 PM
  • EDIT: i found the solution. Download sp35908.exe of of HP website for windows vista (32 bit or 64 bit)

No, it's 32-bit only.  The link I listed above is for a 64-bit driver package.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-51317-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1832444&os=2093&lang=en

Compatibility: Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    System requirements: Operating Systems
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32 Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise 32 Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 32 Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32 Edition
  • Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

I noticed that you said there wasn't any icon related to the audio device, is there any yellow question icon listed in Device Manager? If not, the computer didn't detect the audio device in Windows, you need to check if the audio is detected in BIOS. If the audio isn't detected in BIOS, the issue is related to hardware defect, I recommend you to contact hardware manufacturer for support. Otherwise, if the audio device is detected in BIOS but not in Device Manager. Try to download Windows Vista 64 bit sound driver and install it in Windows Vista compatibility mode. Based on my research, Rick Dee's link is right.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:55 AM
  • Please forgive my computer ignorance but how would I check to see if my audio device is detected in BIOS?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Hey, I have the very same problem - except that I have installed the 32 bit version. The audio system was working fine after a few attempts of installing and uninstalling audio drivers. But today when I tried make a skype call it crashed. Now it just keeps saying no audio device detected. I have tried restarting several times. There is no audio device under device manager. Did you find a solution? Also, did you find how to check if audio device is detected under BIOS? I am using HP Pavilion dv6915nr and there is no option of checking hardware devices under the BIOS setup. Any help to figure this out will be greatly appreciated!!
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:27 AM
  • I have an Alienware M9700. I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. My Device Manager says that my 2 Base System Devices, my Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Modem, and USB2.0 Camera don't have the right drivers. My internet will only work when wired and sound won't come out of the computer. When Windows offers to search for the drivers it can never find them. I don't really know what I'm doing with this kind of stuff so any and all help would be super.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 7:30 PM
  • I have an Alienware M9700. I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. My Device Manager says that my 2 Base System Devices, my Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Modem, and USB2.0 Camera don't have the right drivers. My internet will only work when wired and sound won't come out of the computer. When Windows offers to search for the drivers it can never find them. I don't really know what I'm doing with this kind of stuff so any and all help would be super.

To start with you need to start your own thread.  It is not acceptable to post in someone elses thread with your own seperate problem.

Hijacking someone elses thread is also a good way to NOT get an answer to your question/situation!
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:42 PM