none
Bootmgr is missing. Cannot install Vista. Have tried "everything"!

Question

• I have found plenty of solutions to this problem, most of which involve setting the BIOS boot priority so that the pc boots from the dvd first. Unfortunately, none of them work for me

I have just rebuilt a pc using parts from an older one.  The only new components are the optical drive and the video card.  I reformatted the hdd using another pc.

When I try to re-install vista, I get the message "bootmgr is missing".  I have done the following:

1. Reset all bios settings to default
    2. Ensured that the bios is set to boot from the optical drive.
    3. checked the bios to ensure that it is seeing both my hdd and my optical drive.
    4. Tried a Vista install disk from another pc that I own - to rule out damage to the original
    5. Pulled out hair.
    6. Turned to drink

TIA, Jeff

I have the following: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe|Athlon 5000x2|4GB Corsair PC-6400|Samsung 400GB SATAII|Sony SATA DVDRW|MSI Geforce260GTX|Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:16 PM

Answers

• Why dont you try a startup repair using the Vista DVD??
    It should fix the problem....
    Follow the procedure below:

- Get your Vista  DVD and pop it into your drive.
    - Then restart your computer.
    - Set your computer to boot from DVD or CD in your BIOS.

Vista will ask you for language and keyboard layout information, after which you will be asked if you want to re-install Vista or repair your existing installation.
    After that select Repair. After which Vista's System Recovery Tool will start.

OR

If the previous method does not resolve the problem, you can rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:

- Get your Vista installation DVD and pop it into your drive.
    - Press a key when you are prompted.
    - Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then hit Next
    - Click Repair your computer
    - Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next
    - In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt
    - Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and then press "Enter" key.

• If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.

• If Bootrec cannot find any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order shown below: (Remember to press ENTER after each command)

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

- Restart the computer.

This should fix the problem.
    If not let me know with the exact error messages...
    • Proposed as answer by CODEVANDAL Friday, May 15, 2009 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:28 AM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:11 PM

All replies

• maybe you need to inject storrrage driver into the Vista Install.wim or set the pc to run in compatability mode (instead of AHCI)

Michael Petersen

http://kongkuba1.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Why dont you try a startup repair using the Vista DVD??
    It should fix the problem....
    Follow the procedure below:

- Get your Vista  DVD and pop it into your drive.
    - Set your computer to boot from DVD or CD in your BIOS.

Vista will ask you for language and keyboard layout information, after which you will be asked if you want to re-install Vista or repair your existing installation.
    After that select Repair. After which Vista's System Recovery Tool will start.

OR

If the previous method does not resolve the problem, you can rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:

- Get your Vista installation DVD and pop it into your drive.
    - Press a key when you are prompted.
    - Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then hit Next
    - Click Repair your computer
    - Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next
    - In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt
    - Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and then press "Enter" key.

• If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.

• If Bootrec cannot find any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order shown below: (Remember to press ENTER after each command)

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

- Restart the computer.

This should fix the problem.
    If not let me know with the exact error messages...
    • Proposed as answer by CODEVANDAL Friday, May 15, 2009 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:28 AM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:11 PM
  • when i type in bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

it says "The store export operation has failed."
              "The system cannot find the file specified. "

can someone plz help?
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 7:08 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. I've tried everything I can, but to no avail. I can see the contents of my hard drive, but Windows won't boot. I have an HP DV6130us with a 120GB hard drive. 2GB of RAM as well. I'm currently running the Windows 7 RC, and have not made any recent hardware or software changes. I restarted my computer only to find that Windows would not start. Instead, the BIOS screen remains up for much longer that it should (2 minutes) until a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner pops up.

I have exhausted all options. I have tried using Recovery Console and Windows RE, and nothing has worked. Everything seems to result in a "Device cannot be found" error, which makes no sense to me. I can successfully run the FixMBR and FixBoot commands, but the RebuildBCD command fails. It is able to identify a Windows installation and asks me to add the installation to the boot list, but says "The requested system device cannot be found." when I confirm that I want the installation added. I have also tried the "bootrec /FixMbr --> bootsect /nt60 all /force --> bootrec /RebuildBCD" series of commands, but this fails as well.

If anybody has any ideas as to what I can do to fix this, I would greatly appreciate your help. I've tried everything but reformatting the hard drive (which I would prefer not having to do). I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:56 PM
  • hello...
    can you help me about this.
    i did all the thing that you wrote but it not solve my problem
    when i try to format my local disk it wont show up in the box.it only show up local disk D:.
    i try to repair it by using command prompt it still wont work.
    and then i realize that my local disk C: has been rename to boot x: automatically...
    please help me solve this.
    sorry for the language though.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:35 AM