none
Using Windows 10's "update from multiple sources" to update closed environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a set of Windows 10 Enterprise Machines that reside on a closed network (I.E> a network with no internet connectivity).  I do not have a WSUS server for deployment of updates.  I want to utilize Windows' built-in "update from multiple sources" option from local networks to distribute the updates that are installed one a few machines to the entire closed network.  Does this option do this and if so what do I have to do to enable it?  As a test, I have updated one machine, plugged it into another, and ran "check for updates" but the machine said that it couldn't reach the internet.  Does this option automatically install updates without having to use Windows update, or does it require an internet connection to work?

Thank You,

Kyle

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Kyle,

Does this option do this and if so what do I have to do to enable it?

These articles may offer some reference information for your scenario. Hope it helps.
    Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ
    https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization
    Set Windows 10 to download updates from the local network or the internet
    http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-set-windows-10-get-updates-local-network-internet
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Does this option automatically install updates without having to use Windows update, or does it require an internet connection to work?

Based on my understanding, the main purpose of this option is making download updates faster and less download bandwidth used. It does not bypass Windows update, Windows update still require Internet when checking update to find which updates need be downloaded.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:56 AM