none
Mouse problem with Word files

Question

• Hi, I have a weird problem. I have windows vista. One day I was working with a MS Word (office 2003) when I noticed this problem; If I open new Word file, everything is ok until I minimize the file or open other application. The problem here is that I can't use the mouse to scroll down or up or I can't do "Right click" on any word in the file. I can only use the arrows or the wheel of the mouse to go up / down. I can use the mouse on the menu bar, for example I can save the file, close it, then open it to work normally until I minimize the file again. I tested this problem on other Office products but I found that this problem arises with Word only. I changed the mouse, also I uninstalled Office 2003 then I installed Office 2007 but I still have the same problem. I was not sure what I was doing that day when that problem occurred but pretty sure I was installing some Adobe products.
    I really appreciate your help.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:38 PM

Answers

• Thank you guddton very much. My problem is similar but I dont' use Laserfiche. I am using a software called Powerdesigner ver 12.5 from Sybase. When I went to Add-In (but I have now Office 2007, so it's different from Word 2003 in how to get there; 

Within Microsoft Word 2007 go to the Office icon in the upper left, and click “Word Options” at the bottom of this window.

Click on the Add-ins option on the left hand side.

Click on the drop-down menu next to Manage and select Word Add-ins.

Click Go and this will open the Templates and Add-ins screen so you can look at the files that are checked in the box below.

So when I got there, I found "WordToRqm.dot", I tried to remove it but it adds itself when I open Word. I checked the path of this file and I found that it is in "C:\Program Files\Sybase\PowerDesigner 12\Add-ins\Microsoft Word Import Export", so I just changed the name of the folder "Microsoft Word Import Export", then I removed the add-in and that's it. It's working now.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:35 AM

All replies

• I am experiencing a very similar problem with Word 2003 on a Vista machine. My mouse won't work at all anywhere in the Word document editing window, including the scroll bars. Can't double-click words to highlight them, can't right click anything, can't set margins or tabs in the ruler. It's as if the document is completely locked from any editing, but I can view it.

Also, when I double-click a Word file from Windows Explorer, Word will start, but the document will not load. I have to always go to File, Open... from within Word to open a file.

Note: I installed all of Office Professional 2003 and then allowed all the updates. I'm now running Office SP3 with Vista SP1. I tried uninstalling just the Word portion of Office and reinstalling it, but doesn't work. My system had the MS Office 2007 trial installed on this Vista machine. I made the mistake of installing Office 2003 on the machine with the Office 2007 trial still loaded. I then uninstalled Office 2007, and then ran all the updates for Office 2003. All of my other applications seem to work fine, including Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Outlook, etc.. Just Word is messed up.

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:33 AM
  • I forgot to mention that all the toolbars and menus in Word seem to work fine with the mouse. I can move my editing cursor around the document, highlight text using the shift key and arrow keys, and I seem to be able to perform all document editing functions with the keyboard, toolbars, and menus. I can select the toolbars and menus with the mouse. It's just the document editing area where the mouse will not function at all.

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:41 AM
  • Helpful hint: When I starting Word in safe mode, the mouse works just fine (click Start, then type "winword /a" in the Start Search box.)

There must be some Add-In or something in the Word startup file that's hosed. Will keep investigating...

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:52 AM
  • Good, at least I could find someone who can share the same problem and the same pain.
    Do you have any of Adobe's products installed?
    Did you figure out what the problem was and how to resolve it?

Thank you
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Oh!! I have the same problem. Hehe at least we are 3 now in this world that we have the same problem. I was going to "format" that computer and install everything from the beginning but now I want to wait for some "smart people" if they can help me/us.

Carlos
    Friday, March 28, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Yes, I have Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard, and Adobe Reader 8. That's it.

gd

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:14 PM
  • I found the culprit. Do either of you guys also use Laserfiche v7.2?  That version is not fully compatible with Windows Vista. The new Laserfiche v8 that's about to be released any day now, is compatible with Vista.

Here's how I confirmed the solution: I simply went to my Templates folder (open Word, go to Tools, Templates and Add-Ins, click the Templates tab, and then click the Attach button) and renamed the file extension the on "Send to Laserfiche.dot" to .bak and restarted Word. Problem gone. 

If you do not use Laserfiche, there may be other templates or add-ins that cause a similar problem. Try repeating the process for each Add-In, one at a time.

I am a Laserfiche VAR. I went to my Support site and my support tech said that the problem is caused by corrupted Normal.dot and Send to Laserfiche.dot templates. Laserfiche's recommended workaround for now is to completely delete the Normal.dot and Send to Laserfiche.dot templates. I tried that, and it works. They also said this is OS independent--happens on XP machines too. This indicates that it's not just a problem with Laserfiche.

If that doesn't work for you, also see:

http://help.lockergnome.com/office/Word-2007-Mouse-Work-Highlight-Text-ftopict936907.html

Greg

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Thank you guddton very much. My problem is similar but I dont' use Laserfiche. I am using a software called Powerdesigner ver 12.5 from Sybase. When I went to Add-In (but I have now Office 2007, so it's different from Word 2003 in how to get there; 

Within Microsoft Word 2007 go to the Office icon in the upper left, and click “Word Options” at the bottom of this window.

Click on the Add-ins option on the left hand side.

Click on the drop-down menu next to Manage and select Word Add-ins.

Click Go and this will open the Templates and Add-ins screen so you can look at the files that are checked in the box below.

So when I got there, I found "WordToRqm.dot", I tried to remove it but it adds itself when I open Word. I checked the path of this file and I found that it is in "C:\Program Files\Sybase\PowerDesigner 12\Add-ins\Microsoft Word Import Export", so I just changed the name of the folder "Microsoft Word Import Export", then I removed the add-in and that's it. It's working now.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:35 AM
  • I also had a similar problem with Visa and Office 2007 with an add-in called "Snag-It".  As soon as I removed it the problem with the mouse not working inside the document was resolved.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:54 PM
  • I was having a similar problem only it was MS Outlook 2003 that kept recreating the “WordToRqm.dot” file.   I’m using MS Windows XP,  Sybase Powerdesigner 11 and MS Word 2003. Thank you for the tip it fixed the problem.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:28 PM
  • thank you for your response.  I also was having this problem and now I am problem free

Thanks again

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:29 PM
  • hahaha, Thank you very much,mate!  I had this same problem with SnagIt and now it's been fixed after I read the suggestion from this forums. Thanks everybody for helping me getting over this head-aching problem of microsoft word.

bye la la~~~
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:37 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem with Word 2007, and it started to happen a while after I installed Snag-it, but now that I have removed the Snag-it plugin after your advice here, everything works fine again.

Thanks!

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:58 PM
  • I had the same problem in Word 2007 on a Vista Business machine.  I didn't have any of the add-ins listed, in fact I didn't have any add-ins period.  I tried to go to the Word Options and click on Add-In button as directed in one of the posts, however my mouse did not work in that window either and I was unable to arrow to or tab to the button.  I found a post on Microsoft's website that I did and everything works perfectly.  Apparently there is a problem with MS Word after certain updates are ran on Vista machines.  Here is the link to the resolution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791 hope it helps.
    • Proposed as answer by rschulenberg Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:54 PM
  • PS. I forgot to mention that this happened directly after an automatic update from Microsoft Update.  I was in a meeting an automatic  update was performed and when I came back in I got a notice that an update was performed and my computer had been restarted to implement the update. 
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:58 PM
  •  

I have some of the add-ins cited, but everything worked prior to an automatic update. I followed the link provided, deleted the registry entry, and voila - everything is good again.

Thank you for taking the time to post the link.

gary

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Thank you so much for posting this information.  I lost a few hours finding this thread, but it saved my sanity. Removing add-ins may help some, but I was loathe to remove Snag-It, the handiest add-in ever......R3W

Now...it's the next day.  I received another MicroSoft automatic update which resulted in the same WORD/mouse problem. Does anyone know if this is a permanent feature in the ongoing Vista drama? I'm glad I know what do to, but I'd rather not need to make this fix with every update......R3W....again....

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Thank you for the PowerDesigner hint!

Appearantly the template get's registered by another AddIn of PowerDesigner: COM Add-In named "PowerDesigner 12 Requirements COM Add-In for Microsoft Word".

After disabling that one the template "WordToRqm.dot" no longer got registered when starting up Word again. Thus disabling COM Add-In and removing "WordToRqm.dot" cured my mouse problem with word without renaming the PowerDesigner folder.

Should now tell Sybase people too that their template kind-of disables mouse for Word 2007...

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I had the same problem in Word 2007 on a Vista Business machine.  I didn't have any of the add-ins listed, in fact I didn't have any add-ins period.  I tried to go to the Word Options and click on Add-In button as directed in one of the posts, however my mouse did not work in that window either and I was unable to arrow to or tab to the button.  I found a post on Microsoft's website that I did and everything works perfectly.  Apparently there is a problem with MS Word after certain updates are ran on Vista machines.  Here is the link to the resolution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791 hope it helps.

If you are simply using Office 2007 and this happens in Word, the steps in the link will fix the problem. I am sure my word data files became corrupt when I left word open and my system did a nightly update which included office 2007 sp2. When I logged in after the reboot this morning, it recovered the files I had open but the mouse did not work. Followed this blog to brOnc0fan7 solution. Thanks for the research.
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Hey that really worked!  Thanks a lot.  I've been dealing with not being able to click on literally anything in Word for a while.  Also, when I closed word it would give me a message stating that word crashed, which made even less sense.  Both problems were solved by support.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 5:28 PM
  • I suspected it might be snagit and after seeing your post, went into Add-ins>Template>Snagit and removed it. Closed Word and reopened and it solved the problem.
    Thanks!
    Friday, November 06, 2009 11:12 PM

If you are simply using Office 2007 and this happens in Word, the steps in the link will fix the problem. I am sure my word data files became corrupt when I left word open and my system did a nightly update which included office 2007 sp2. When I logged in after the reboot this morning, it recovered the files I had open but the mouse did not work. Followed this blog to brOnc0fan7 solution. Thanks for the research.
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791  

This link worked for me.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:33 PM