none
Windows 10 Insider Preview 18912 doesn't work with Norton Security RRS feed

• General discussion

• Windows 10 Insider Preview 18912 doesn't work with Norton Security. Has anyone find a way to make Norton Work?

Sincerely, Manny A.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:30 PM

All replies

• Best thing is to uninstall it as Norton Security doesn't work well with Preview Insider Builds but stable with Windows 10 versions.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, June 7, 2019 12:49 AM
  • Same problem on two laptops after update 18912. Was fine with 18908 and before. The icon for Norton Security is gone and typing "Norton Security" in the RUN box does nothing. Norton.com gives conflicting information - it says that I'm protected, but the list of computers having Norton Security installed no longer shows those two computers (3 of 5, instead of 5 of 5). Haven't found any solution. Uninstall/reinstall doesn't improve. Also, seems to prevent me from even sending an error report to Norton, even tho' I am logged into my account there. I'm guessing Norton won't support anyway, since they will say that it's a beta-test issue, not theirs! FWIW, I did report to the Windows Insider program.
    • Edited by not a newbie Friday, June 7, 2019 12:51 AM added more info
    Friday, June 7, 2019 12:50 AM
  • Not really a good response, since PREVIOUS builds (up to and including most recent previous 18908) did NOT display this problem. Norton is an important program and part of the Insider program is to see how well/poorly OTHER vendors' programs "work/play" with the upcoming Win10 version for general release. To hand-wave this away is unacceptable. If MS can't make a Build work with Norton Security, what makes you think it WILL work with the released version (which is expected relatively soon)? Bringing this to the attention of MS is the very reason there IS an Insider program. Hopefully, MS will take this more seriously than YOU do, and the NEXT build solves this REAL problem!
    Friday, June 7, 2019 4:43 PM
  • Agreed there (and it worked here with the previous build, but failed/will not reinstall with this build).  Apparently there is a change between the two builds that is causing the issue.  In my case, it is 18912 (Pro for Workstations).  Worked with 18908 Pro for Workstations; just not 18912.
    Friday, June 7, 2019 9:00 PM
  • Norton Security is unnecessary and ineffective software. Just remove it and live a stress free life.
    Sunday, June 9, 2019 6:06 PM
  • For me, NIS initially worked fine after updating to both the 18908 and 18912 preview builds. It stopped working in both after NIS updated to the latest version that was released at the end of May. Either the new version of NIS is incompatible, or the update process is flawed. I restored a backup of 18908 that has the older version of NIS installed and disabled automatic live-updates for NIS. This stops NIS from updating to the problematic version. Unfortunately it also prevents NIS from downloading all other security updates.
    Monday, June 10, 2019 2:39 PM
  • I'm now on 18932 and NIS is still not working as of July 10, 2019.  It's too late for me to go back to Windows 10 so I am stuck.  I even had Norton Tech Support work on the issue for over an hour via remote without success.  Please fix this critical security issue.  Thank you,  CoastrunnerGH
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:15 PM
  • Try installing it from a new download from their web page. It worked for me.

Sincerely, Manny A.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:31 PM