none
Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro using a VLK Key RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have multiple computers with Windows 10 Home Retail on them and I have a Windows 10 Pro Volume Licensing Key. How would I go about upgrading the Windows 10 Home computers to Pro without having to reinstall. I have tried following this post:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-1511-from-home-to-pro/1e552d5c-6657-4da8-91e7-fc352019a50d?auth=1

But the steps listed here do not work. It said to upgrade to Pro using a Windows 10 Pro default key. I entered the key listed but it does not upgrade from Home to Pro.

Is there a way to just put in the pro key on these computers and have it upgrade?

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thank you,

Sam

Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

The link you referred is used for retail product key rather than volume license.

But for the volume license, I recommend to download Windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft website to a USB flash. Then upgrade from this USB flash to Windows 10 Pro. We could choose to save our personal data and skip input product key during upgrade.

Would you tell me which kind of volume license key you have?

If it is a Multiple Activation Keys (MAK), please make sure it has enough activation times remained. Each computer independently could be activated by Microsoft either over the Internet or by telephone. Or we could activate it through command line. Run command “slmgr.vbs /ipk <MultipleActivationKey>” as administrator to activate.

If it is a Key Management Service (KMS), we need to install a KMS host and activate other machines through this KMS server.

But I have never seen upgrading from Windows 10 home OEM\retail to Windows 10 Pro with volume key directly. So I recommend you to give a call to volume license activation center. Feedback the result here might be helpful for other customers.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 20, 2017 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

for licensing compliance, the Home edition is NOT qualified to pro edition from Volume License contract. the Only exception is for education licensing program.

for not education licenses, you need to have a qualified OS for Volume Licensing program. the windows pro in VL is Only as upgrade licenses from qualified existing windows OS like windows 7, 8, 8,1 Pro edition.

for confiramation & more details contact microsoft licensing support in your region

thanks

diramoh

Friday, October 20, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hi Sam,

Any update?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:37 AM