none
BSOD Norton 360 Scans

Question

• Hi - I seem to have started experiencing the blue screen of death whenever i try to run norton 360 virus scans. the full scan runs for 5 mins or so then the system crashes to the bluescreen.

it always happens if i run scans, but if i restart and don't run the scans it eventually happens anyway (after about 30 mins to an hour). the file noted on the blue screen is SYM....SYS something. i never catch it in time!

any suggestions? this has only started today and i've had no problems for the last week

thanks
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Have you tried to reinstall Norton 360?  Have you tried to turn off the Auto restart on system failure so that you can see the BSOD Stop Error code?

Start>Right click on Computer>Properties.  There on the left side click the link for Advanced System Settings.  There under Startup and Recovery slick Settings.  there you will see the check box to stop the system from auto restarting on system failure.  This will allow you to see the BSOD and Stop Error code to provide more information.

Could also try one of the other anti-virus solutions provided at the Microsoft Security Partners Page.

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Monday, February 09, 2009 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried to reinstall Norton 360?  Have you tried to turn off the Auto restart on system failure so that you can see the BSOD Stop Error code?

Start>Right click on Computer>Properties.  There on the left side click the link for Advanced System Settings.  There under Startup and Recovery slick Settings.  there you will see the check box to stop the system from auto restarting on system failure.  This will allow you to see the BSOD and Stop Error code to provide more information.

Could also try one of the other anti-virus solutions provided at the Microsoft Security Partners Page.

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Monday, February 09, 2009 8:02 PM
  • I had the same problem. It seems Norton 360 is incompatible with Window 7. I solved the problem by uninstalling it, using Norton removal tool and installing Norton 360 Beta instead, and it's working just fine. Of course it's just a temporary fix...
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:00 PM
  • I ran the 360 beta for W7 as well and it caused some major issues, BSOD, lockups, weird error messages.  I had to uninstall the whole packsge and went with Kaperski. The whole Kapersky package is functional and i havent had one complaint from W7
    Maj.Havoc Win 7 Beta
    Monday, February 16, 2009 11:39 PM