none
"Preparing Windows" What is actually happening? RRS feed

• Question

• The title really says it all but let me give some background information too.

We're an educational institution and we've just moved to Windows 10.  After a lot of tweaking, we were able to get the login times down from around 10 minutes to about a minute and a half (removing provisioned apps).  Everything seemed to work well until we returned from the Independence Day holiday.  Now our logon times are around 10 minutes again.  No apps are being added to the system and there weren't any updates or changes made during the holiday (the university was completely closed over the holiday).

We use Deep Freeze to prevent any persistent data and creating a thawed space for user profiles isn't an option.  Although we haven't completely ruled out Deep Freeze as the culprit, we don't really have a reason to suspect it either as it's worked flawlessly for us so far.

To troubleshoot, I added a registry key to enable verbose logon.  Unfortunately, "Preparing Windows" isn't very descriptive and this is where our logon is hanging up.  Can anyone explain what exactly is going on during the "Preparing Windows" step?

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Preparing Windows usually appears when new user Profile is being created or Windows is installing some updates or add some configuration. You may refer to event viewer to see what actually happening.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Windows and log on issues have always been an interesting one to troubleshoot.

Love how windows is always vague with whats going on. I really wish windows did like linux which when you press esc at boot that it displays whats going on at the time.

Would be an amazing helpful tool for admins. The event view is a joke most times.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

I consider this issue is related to corrupted user profile.

Have you gotten any error message when you can log in this computer? Like, "You log on as temporary user profile"..

I suggest creating another new user account on this computer to test this issue.

If this issue doesn't persist in this user profile, try solution in this link:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/38817-youve-been-signed-temporary-profile-fix.html

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 15, 2016 9:57 AM
    Owner