none
How do I setup dual booting of Win7 32-bit & 64-bit on separate hard disks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have Windows 7 Professional (full retail licensed edition) on my PC. I wish to add an SSD drive and a second normal hard disk and install the 64-bit version on the SSD drive with the data on the new hard disk.

How can I set this up so that I have the option of which system to boot into please ?

Will I be able to access the original 32-bit drive and the data thereon from the new 64-bit system ?

It seems most of the guidance here relates to creating additional partitions on a single hard drive, which is not what I am doing.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can install a new copy of windows 7 64-bit on the second drive. Start the computer and boot from the install media. During the install
    process you can choose the drive to install 64-bit on.

When you finish the installation, a new entry will be add to the boot menu, and you can choose which one to boot when the computer is turned on.

Note: When you perform a new installation, please have a full system restore image.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:03 AM

All replies

• Installing on two different hard drives is similar to installing on one drive with multiple partitions. When you install the second copy of Windows 7 it will add an entry to the boot menu - you can choose which install to boot when the computer is turned on.

Install more than one operating system (multiboot):
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-more-than-one-operating-system-multiboot

For the second Windows 7 install, you must buy another Full version of Windows 7 - you can not use the same key for both installs.

How many Computers Can You Install One License On?

If you purchase one (1) retail Windows 7 edition, you may install and activate just one (1) installation at a time. You will need to buy a second license/key to activate a second Windows 7 installation at the same time. There is no discount on a second license if you already have a license.
    Windows 7 includes a 32 and 64 bit disk - you can only have one installed per key.

You can buy Windows 7 here (or at a local store):
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/cat/categoryID.44066700

Windows 7 EULA:

1. OVERVIEW
    a. Software. The software includes desktop operating system software. This software does not include Windows Live services. Windows Live is a service available from Microsoft under a separate agreement.
    b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Thanks very much Trekdozer

I am, frankly, astonished by the terms of the license agreement !!

Not only is it on one single computer, but you can only use it one at a time too !!

But do you think I can use my existing disk to at least install it, and then pay for just a licence when it comes to activate it (rather than having to get a whole boxed version delivered ?). Is that an option, do you know ?

So, for this dual boot install, I just need to add the SSD hard disk and new 1Tb hard disk, boot up into the 32-bit Windows 7, insert the 64-bit Windows CD and then it will give me the option for where to install (and I choose the SSD drive) and then it will give me the dual boot up option automatically ?

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:47 PM
  • But do you think I can use my existing disk to at least install it, and then pay for just a licence when it comes to activate it (rather than having to get a whole boxed version delivered ?). Is that an option, do you know ?

Buy A Key Only From The Microsoft Store

If you buy from the Microsoft Store you can choose the download option when you buy a copy of Windows. You will get a license key sent to your email that you can use with your current retail install disk to activate Windows. You can also choose to download Windows if you want after buying the download option.

Note - you must buy the same version as the retail disk you already have, example: both need to be Windows 7 Professional.

Buy Windows 7:
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/cat/categoryID.44066700

So, for this dual boot install, I just need to add the SSD hard disk and new 1Tb hard disk, boot up into the 32-bit Windows 7, insert the 64-bit Windows CD and then it will give me the option for where to install (and I choose the SSD drive) and then it will give me the dual boot up option automatically ?

To install 64 bit when you have 32 bit - insert the install DVD then restart and boot from the install DVD. During the install process you can choose the drive/partition to install 64 bit on.

After you are done installing it will add an entry to the boot menu - you can then choose which install to boot when the computer is turned on.

• Edited by TrekDozer Friday, February 3, 2012 5:48 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

You can install a new copy of windows 7 64-bit on the second drive. Start the computer and boot from the install media. During the install
    process you can choose the drive to install 64-bit on.

When you finish the installation, a new entry will be add to the boot menu, and you can choose which one to boot when the computer is turned on.

Note: When you perform a new installation, please have a full system restore image.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Thanks everyone.

I now have the opposite problem where I have two boot menu items, but I have now uninstalled the hard drive with the old Win7 32-bit on it so I don't need the second boot option anymore.

How do I get rid of it ?

Thanks

Monday, February 20, 2012 11:35 AM