none
Sticky notes location in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Where have you put Sticky Notes? 

why is it not visible?

why is the answer not all ready available?  I'm the first person who uses Sticky Notes to ask this question?  I doubt it.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 10:28 PM

Answers

• Sticky Notes, under start > All apps > Windows Accessories > Sticky Notes

Or click start type 'Sticky', can be pinned to start or the taskbar with a right click on the Sticky Notes icon.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 10:35 PM

why is it not visible?

why is the answer not all ready available?  I'm the first person who uses Sticky Notes to ask this question?  I doubt it.

Hi,

The executed file is under %windir%\system32\ and named StikyNot.exe.

And if you create any notes, you will find the snt file under %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes.

If you cannot find the exe file, you may need to repair or restore it by running following commands:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, October 24, 2015 1:41 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Sticky Notes, under start > All apps > Windows Accessories > Sticky Notes

Or click start type 'Sticky', can be pinned to start or the taskbar with a right click on the Sticky Notes icon.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 10:35 PM

why is it not visible?

Hi,

The executed file is under %windir%\system32\ and named StikyNot.exe.

And if you create any notes, you will find the snt file under %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes.

If you cannot find the exe file, you may need to repair or restore it by running following commands:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, October 24, 2015 1:41 PM
    Owner
  • Ummm, yea can you please re-state those instructions and include each and every step that you left out in this prior attempt.  Please state what and where to do these things that you have written above, as they have absolutely no meaning as they are written.  My sticky notes (many many of them) disappeared after an update   They are normally on my desk top and now they are not.  They are no where to be found and no search will bring them back.  

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:31 AM
  • What do you do when the icon has disappeared?  All the sticky notes (many, many of them) have vanished along with the place on the task bar and all icons in the start menu and on the desktop.  There is no sign of these anywhere but a jumbled up, horseshit coded file that will not give them back. 
    • Edited by spiffyx Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:34 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:34 AM
  • My sticky notes also disappeared after update. Please PLEASE GIVE THEM BACK!!! How bogus!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 2:32 PM
  • Hey! don't know if it works for you or not - but I typed sticky notes in Cortana, and voila! They reappeared. Hope you can get yours back. Windows 10 is a real challenge - especially for those of us who are not tech savvy!
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 2:43 PM
  • No it was not under Windows Accessories on my system. I found it by typing "Sticky Notes" to "Cortana". Wht would Microsoft turn this feature off and make it so hard to find?
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 2:57 PM
  • It is under "S" on the menu (Anniversary Edition)
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Had an update from Windows yesterday, 23rd October.
    Switched on only to find my Sticky Notes all missing. (I have a lot). Ok its not the end of the world.
    So got to this part of the Microsoft Ionosphere where it says go into accessories to find it. so I did, and it is not there !! How frustrating is this!!!   \nor does the file Sticky or StikyNot,exe exist either. Why oh why do Microsoft make things so difficult I want my notes back, so next will try downloading the program again, I did find the notes file so hopefully I will not lose any but what a ridiculous state of affairs for so trivial a program.

A not so impressed poor Brit over the pond. 

• Edited by Cliffhf Monday, October 24, 2016 11:57 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Switched on only to find my Sticky Notes all missing.

A problem is that there are two versions of Sticky Notes--the one we are used to and a new one.  The new one has a lot less functionality.  One way to find it is to use the Ink Workspace button.  It seems that it tried to preserve most of the data from the old notes and represent them in the new way.  I found some windows not cascading and not always on the same monitor.  There is a Taskbar thumbnail but it only shows one window.  So, you may have to hunt for them.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:23 PM
  • This also worked for me - typing sticky notes in Cortana (disappeared after the Anniversary update).
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:33 AM
  • Apparently, Microsoft deprecated the Windows 8 Sticky Notes (it was moved to the Windows.old directory) and replaced it with a Metro application. They added a link to it from the Metro Start Screen, but did not see fit to add a link to it to the conventional Start menu, or to the startup directory so that it launches at boot as I had set it before W10 Anniversary Edn. They could have at least added an "incompatible programs" notification that Sticky Notes was deprecated and the new one could be found on the Metro start screen and would open your Sticky Notes file. Now, if they could only improve the font rendering on high definition displays after all this time.
    Monday, November 7, 2016 5:14 PM
  • My Sticky  notes keep disappearing off of the task bar.  I finally got them back and they are piled on top of each other  They are piled on top of each other as I did that because I couldn't get the off of them the desktop. 

Now that I got them back, I can't get them off of each other.  I also cannot get them to move out of the way.  I think I may have downloaded a special stick notes program, not sure.    I am afraid if I delete sticky notes program I will lose all of my notes.  I have used sticky notes in the past without problems, not totally brain dead.  This is such an aggravation as I have notes on how to operate my smart TV.  Thank you for your help.   

t  

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:01 PM
  • can't get them off of each other  

Drag them with your mouse.  Heh.  Apparently you can also move them with your keyboard.  Using Alt-Space M, Cursor...  Same as ever.   So you could pick them apart that way, even if you couldn't see the top window's title bar.  What's wrong with that?   Yikes.   Apparently they will even respond to right-click Cascade Windows.   Tip: Minimize any other windows you have open that you do not want involved in that operation.  (Same as ever.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:00 PM
  • Dera MeipoXu/MS Moderator - this may have been accurate in Oct 2015 but today (March 30 2017) it is not.  Can you please advise where i can copy my old SNT file (from Windows 7 laptop that crashed) in my new laptop Windows 10?  I have the snt file but when I copy it into the location you state, it is not readable.  When I search in the \system32 directory I do not find STikyNot.exe either and yet it is installed to my computer.  I can create new notes but I need to view my old one.  PLEASE HELP.  Thank you.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Dera MeipoXu/MS Moderator - this may have been accurate in Oct 2015 but today (March 30 2017) it is not.  Can you please advise where i can copy my old SNT file (from Windows 7 laptop that crashed) in my new laptop Windows 10?  I have the snt file but when I copy it into the location you state, it is not readable.  When I search in the \system32 directory I do not find STikyNot.exe either and yet it is installed to my computer.  I can create new notes but I need to view my old one.  PLEASE HELP.  Thank you.

Same! ^^ Did you ever figure this out? I am trying to copy my old sticky notes from a Win 7 computer to my new computer Win 10 and cannot locate the file stated above either to drop them into. (Not sure they would even work if I could locate the file but it would be a place to start.)
    Friday, June 16, 2017 7:53 PM
  • On Windows 10, I have active sticky notes on the screen, and there definitely is no /roaming/Microsoft/Sticky Notes directory in AppData.

In fact a search of AppData for Sticky returns no result...  This is on 1703

Sunday, July 2, 2017 1:48 PM
  • a search of AppData for Sticky returns no result...  This is on 1703

Try it in PowerShell

cd  $env:TEMP\..\Packages  

LS *Sticky* | cd

Then see if you have

...\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Legacy\ThresholdNotes.snt

BTW the clue I got for trying that was from ResMon and searching its Associated Handles (on CPU tab) for  Stick

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:55 PM
  • clue I got for trying that was from ResMon and searching its Associated Handles (on CPU tab) for  Stick

Even when StickyNotes is not active ResMon shows both Cortana and explorer.exe know about a "protocol" called StickyNotes.  So, does this imply that we can enter  StickyNotes://  in the Search bar or  Run... box?...  Of course not.  That would be too intuitive and too useful.  Instead Cortana ignores the URL aspect of the search and gets BING to give something that is not wanted.  And explorer says you need to go to the Store to get that.  And when I do fall for the Store idea it says nothing matches the search.  Typical W10 usability.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 2, 2017 3:13 PM
  • Good find, Robert Aldwinckle. I dug a little deeper from there, and found LocalCache/plum.sqlite (and confirmed with systinernals procexplorer this was open by the Microsoft.StickyNotes.exe image). So this new edition of Sticky Notes is a total rewrite and file format is probably not compatible. New format is a SQLite DB file and probably more complex in order to accommodate new fancy features. SQLite is an open standard, by the by, and there are tools out there to interface, but do that with caution, you could easily accidentally modify the db in a way that breaks it for Sticky Notes app purposes.

-- Justin

Friday, November 17, 2017 5:54 PM
  • a search of AppData for Sticky returns no result...  This is on 1703

Try it in PowerShell

LS *Sticky* | cd

Then see if you have

...\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Legacy\ThresholdNotes.snt

BTW the clue I got for trying that was from ResMon and searching its Associated Handles (on CPU tab) for  Stick

Does this imply that if I take the Windows 8 sticky note (stickynote.snt) and put it into the ...\Legacy and rename the file to ThresholdNotes.snt that the Windows 10 Metro app will somehow import the original data into the new database plum.sqllite?

Otherwise how does one transfer the data from the old style to the Metro app?

Friday, November 24, 2017 3:12 AM
  • What I did to import my Sticky Notes from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was to navigate to the following folder using Windows Explorer:

C:\Users\your logon\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

Note: in order to see the "AppData" folder you must enable "Hidden items" under the View tab in the C:\Users folder

Add a folder titled "Legacy" in the "LocalState" folder

Copy the file StickyNotes.snt from Windows 7 to the newly added "Legacy" folder.

Then rename the file StickyNotes.snt to "ThresholdNotes.snt"

When you re-open Sticky Notes the notes will be imported.

• Proposed as answer by Jim Bowers Friday, December 15, 2017 7:24 PM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 12:34 PM
  • I'm a techie person and THIS, FINALLY, helped get my Windows 8 sticky notes working. Thank you SO much!
    Monday, December 11, 2017 2:17 PM
  • I followed your instructions, but without luck. I did it twice, just to be sure. :(  

I should clarify that I am transitioning from Windows 7 to 10. Maybe your instruction only works for Windows 8 version of Sticky Note. 

I guess it's time to search for a 3rd party app.

• Edited by Killasonna Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Same here.  It did not work.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:55 AM
  • It works great from 7 to 10. thank you very much.

Friday, December 15, 2017 7:23 PM
  • This procedure is working fine when importing Win7 stikies to Win10 (10.0.16299). Once the notes are imported, you can delete the "Legacy" folder.

Thank you very much for your advice Richard.

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:59 PM
  • Thanks! Finally a right answer! :)
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:35 PM
  • correct answer!

a search of AppData for Sticky returns no result...  This is on 1703

Try it in PowerShell

LS *Sticky* | cd

Then see if you have

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by JunFab Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:32 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:12 AM
  • This works for me. Thanks
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:33 PM