none
Outlook 2013 on Windows 10 crashes ( MSVCR100.dll ) after adding email signature RRS feed

• Question

• Brand new PCs that comes with Windows 10 Pro installed, updated and connected to Server 2008 Domain, installed Office 2013 Pro Plus and updates. Connects to Exchange 2007. User is local admin.

Everything runs fine until we add an email signature i Outlook. After that Outlook crashes with the below error, but can be started in safe mode. Disabling add-ins doesn't solve the problem, neither does /resetnavpane. Also removing the signature completely doesn't help. Deleting local user profile and starting over with Outlook setup solves the problem, but only UNTIL we add a signature (and no matter what the signature contains). All other Office applications works fine.

Upgrading to Office 2016 isn't an option since Outlook 2016 doesn't Work with Exchange 2007.

Any help will be greatly appreciated since this stops us from deploying new PCs and Windows 10.

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 15.0.4989.1000, time stamp: 0x5a0bf081

Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f0c22

Exception code: 0xc0000417

Fault offset: 0x0008af3e

Faulting process id: 0x12e8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d36f4eb2703d43

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCR100.dll

Report Id: 01d6c1c7-c499-4f5c-95ae-aea9a9f5cc2d

Faulting package full name:

Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

Does this issue affect all users in the same environment?

According to the error log, the issue may lie on the system file(MSVCR100.dll). Please try to run the System File Checker tool and then check if there will be any improvement.

For detailed instructions about how to use the System File Checker tool, hope you can find the article below helpful:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

If the issue persists, please collect the detailed build number of Windows system then we can further research on this.

Best Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Just to check if my reply helps.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Perry,

I am having an issue like RobertBeck, but my user wasn't adding signatures in Outlook.  This error just started happening at random.  The user did somehow launch Outlook 2016, which seems to have replaced Outlook 2013, which was initially installed.  I uninstalled 2016 and this seems to have happened shortly thereafter.

I did run the DISM tool and the SFC tools, but this did not resolve the issue.  Still can only launch Outlook 2013 in safe mode.

Just wanted t get you some feedback since the original poster didn't reply.

Since this issue seems to be related to the Visual C++ Redistributable - 10.0.40219, I will need to look for a solution to that.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:19 PM
  • Perry,

I am having an issue like RobertBeck, but my user wasn't adding signatures in Outlook.  This error just started happening at random.  The user did somehow launch Outlook 2016, which seems to have replaced Outlook 2013, which was initially installed.  I uninstalled 2016 and this seems to have happened shortly thereafter.

I did run the DISM tool and the SFC tools, but this did not resolve the issue.  Still can only launch Outlook 2013 in safe mode.

Just wanted t get you some feedback since the original poster didn't reply.

Since this issue seems to be related to the Visual C++ Redistributable - 10.0.40219, I will need to look for a solution to that.

Thanks!

Any luck solving this ? (I have browsed probably every single post about this topic and haven't come up with a solution for my case). Did a complete factory reset of the laptop at some point after which outlook 2013 would open again to then have the exact same problem starting again, 2 days later..
    Monday, February 5, 2018 1:41 PM
  • We have the same issue on multiple units. We are now trying to deploy a fresh install of Windows 10 build  1709 and then retesting. We used to have an older build 170x which always needed to upgrade to 1709. 

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2077478-outlook-2013-windows-10-crash-issue

• Edited by Jaesson Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:28 AM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:17 AM
  • After reading the above link and one solution there, we tested it and it works. Busy now trying to find out why it happens and what is affected : 

Delete the following under the following key in the registry :

HKEY_USERS\<YOUR USER PROFILE ID HERE>\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar

- Alter Calendar Lang (DWORD 32 Hex 409)
    - Alter Calendar Type (DWORD 32 1)

You can also change the above Alter Calendar Type from 1 to 0. The issue will reappear once you navigate to the signature change or the add-ins options. So this is definitely not a fix, just a workaround. 

On a clean Windows 10 install, build 1703, UPDATES DISABLED, you can install Office 2013 and it will not have any signature-crashing-problems. Adding it to the domain also has absolutely no effect. Installing programs also has no effect. Once the updates roll in, one of it messes up everything. Will uninstall ONE BY ONE on the weekend to see if that makes a difference.

We have also tried to INSTALL updates that were present in WORKING environments that don't seem to be affected by this issue. 

As conclusion. This MUST be a Microsoft update that is causing this :
    1.) Office Update
    2.) Windows Update
    • Edited by jaesson2 Friday, February 16, 2018 10:05 PM
    Friday, February 16, 2018 10:04 PM
  • we have the same issue.

as soon we setup the "Alter Calendar Type" --> 0 all fine.

do you have already find the solution which Update made this issue?

thanks,

Jan

Monday, March 5, 2018 1:36 PM
  • After reading the above link and one solution there, we tested it and it works. Busy now trying to find out why it happens and what is affected : 

Delete the following under the following key in the registry :

HKEY_USERS\<YOUR USER PROFILE ID HERE>\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar

- Alter Calendar Lang (DWORD 32 Hex 409)
    - Alter Calendar Type (DWORD 32 1)

You can also change the above Alter Calendar Type from 1 to 0. The issue will reappear once you navigate to the signature change or the add-ins options. So this is definitely not a fix, just a workaround. 

On a clean Windows 10 install, build 1703, UPDATES DISABLED, you can install Office 2013 and it will not have any signature-crashing-problems. Adding it to the domain also has absolutely no effect. Installing programs also has no effect. Once the updates roll in, one of it messes up everything. Will uninstall ONE BY ONE on the weekend to see if that makes a difference.

We have also tried to INSTALL updates that were present in WORKING environments that don't seem to be affected by this issue. 

As conclusion. This MUST be a Microsoft update that is causing this :
    1.) Office Update
    2.) Windows Update
    This is also the fix for me, whenever changes to signature or add-ins is made, I have to reset 1 to 0 again in the aforementioned registry path. Would like to find a permanent solution to this!
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 2:29 PM
  • Hello,

same issue for me - the workaround helps. Actually the first one that did as opposed to many other suggestions that I have seen elsewhere.

One thing I noticed: Outlook runs fine until I change anything in the Options. Signature is one example, but the error re-occurs also when I change any other option.

Yes, I would like to see a solution for this issue. Many people seem to have the same issue judging by the number of hits in other forums.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:18 PM
  • Hello,

this might be worth noticing: I have 2 new notebooks where the error occurs, and 2 older notebooks which run exactly the same Windows / Office versions and configurations - without any problem. Differences between the notebooks: the former were upgraded from Windows 7, the latter had Windows 10 pre-installed on purchase. The older ones also have additional versions of C++ Redistributables installed, haven't had the time to further investigate this.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Hi Guys,

i can confirm this.

We are facing exact the same Issue here.

We are installing a fresh Windows 10 170x and Office 2013, you are going one time in the Addin Controls in Outlook or making a Signature, Outlook doesnt want to start anymore.

I also tried to update a 1607 System, which is running fine, to 1709 and it was okay also.

So it seems only a fresh Installation is a Problem.

The Regkey jaesson2 mentioned, did the trick also.

Btw, I checked the Regkeys in a 1607 Machine, and they are exactly the same and it works.

Regards

Marcus

• Edited by Marcus1204 Monday, March 26, 2018 1:02 PM Formatting the Text
    Monday, March 26, 2018 1:00 PM
  • Hi There,

We are busy to deploy windows 10 and we have always Office 2013 and having the same issue, when we go to the outlook 2013 and modify a parameter, outlook won't start correctly anymore and always start only in safe mode.

I get the same error for MSVCR.DLL on the eventlog.

The proposed method of reg key adaptation (alter calendar > 0) work but as soon we modify again the signature by example, Outlook crash again.

But, finally i’m arrived to solve this issue !

On the first time, we’ve installed Windows 10 using country « Belgium French », and this cause the problem !

So, i’ve do tests and installed other fresh laptops using country « United States » (during the Cortana installation assistant) then once process finished, i've adapted back the country to « Belgium » and the Time Zone setting to « Romance Standard Time / GMT +1 Bruxelles » using a powershell script and now Outlook work like a charm and we are able to modify all the options we want without crash ...!

Hope this help other.

Cheers,

• Edited by Praxium Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:37 PM
  • Check Your Regional UNICODE Settings It solved out problem
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 10:33 AM