none
Cannot Setup Windows XP

Question

• I formatted my harddisk and reinstalled Windows XP. The "Windows Setup" screen appeared for a while and then the following error message was shown...

"An unexpected error (0) occurred at
    line 1773 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c.

Press any key to continue"

I press any key and after booting from the CD, the same error message was shown.

Would like to know what went wrong and how to remedy this problem.

Thanks.

Andrew
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:00 PM

All replies

• Maybe the CD is unreadable at a certain point?
    Robin Walker
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:22 PM
  • 1. Try to clean the surface on the CD
    2. If possible, try cleaning the lenses of your CD Unit
    3. If you have access to other computer, try to read the content of that CD Media from that one and see if you still have problems for reading
    4. If you have access to other computer, try to make a copy of the CD Media that you are using and try again. If the problem persist might be a. corrupted file/media (you will need to get a new media from Microsoft or another store/provider or the unit of your CD might be not reading and could be damaged (most of the cases, the lenses). You can try this if you have access to other CD Rom and install it.
    5. If the motherboard of your computer is capable to boot from other devices, such an USB Flash Drive, you can make your USB Flash Drive bootable and copy the content of your Windows XP Media to the USB Flash Drive and boot from it and try to install Windows from it

Please let me know

Regards,

JSH/
    • Proposed as answer by Jorge Handal Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:28 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:28 PM
  • hi all,

thanks for the inputs. will try to clean the CD and see if it helps.

however, i did some searches elsewhere to solve my problem and found a solution in Microsoft that has similar error message. it's in one of their knowledge base... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316400

will try that too.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:50 AM
  • just to update... i removed one of my RAMs and managed to install XP. so i guess it's the RAM issue.

cheers.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:42 AM
  • It is the ram. i removed one ram and the installation went well. People should take one ram out and see how that works out. 
    Monday, July 5, 2010 3:28 PM
  • That's not completely correct, what you have is dud RAM and you have both been lucky enough to remove the dud stick before your install. If you put that RAM back in you run the risk of system corruption.
    If you buy three cars and the same wheel falls off all three, do you contact the person who sold you the cars or the person who made them?
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:07 AM