none
Self Service Password Reset not working from login screen in Hybrid joined devices RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing Azure AD Self Service Password Reset which works good from the browser.
    The next step is to test this option from the Windows 10 login screen.
    We are testing on Windows 10 build 1803 which is Hybrid Azure AD joined.

As mentioned, SSPR is already tested and works from the browser.
    Next to that I made sure that the devices are Azure AD Hybrid joined. This is also checked and configured correctly without any issues.

I added the registry key to the Local Machine registry to make sure that the password reset option is available at the login screen and made sure that the Windows 10 1803 device has the latest Windows update installed. I also made sure that fast user switching is enabled.

After starting the Windows 10 device, I see the Windows 10 background and press space bar to show the login screen. When connected to the internet it shows the reset password option.
    When I press this password reset option, the background will stay visible and it says "one moment please". After finished loading, it shows the begin screen again and after pressing the space bar again, it shows the login screen again. When I press the option again to reset the password, the background image disappears and I see again the message, "one moment please". after this it show the begin screen again but still no possibility to reset the password.

Because this is a test I still now the password so I login and short after the login it loads the reset page page to reset my password. It seems that the reset password actions are loaded in the background behind the loginscreen.

I do not have this issue when the device is not hybrid joined but just Azure AD joined.
    I also tested this on a mobile hotspot to make sure it is not a firewall or proxy issue.

Please advise what to check/change to make this functionality work.

Monday, November 12, 2018 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hello guys,

I had exactly the same problem this week.

I got it working by enabling User Account Control.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\ 
    "EnableLUA" to 1

Greetings,

Jeff

• Marked as answer by RonaldBe Monday, October 21, 2019 8:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:32 PM

All replies

• With the new Windows 10 April 2018 Update, users with Azure AD joined or hybrid Azure AD joined devices can use a “Reset password” link on their login screen.

Ref:

Tutorial: Azure AD password reset from the login screen

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, December 9, 2018 10:53 PM
  • Yes this is correct and as I mentioned I tested this on 1803 but without success. I have the same results with 1803 and 1809 at different customers.

With Azure AD joined devices this works without any issues what I have seen but with Hybrid joined devices this doesn't seem to work.

Anyone any suggestions?

Monday, December 17, 2018 3:39 PM
  • I still hope that someone has an answer to this issue because it still persists.
    • Edited by RonaldBe Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:58 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:58 PM
  • Did you ever manage to solve this? I am experiencing the same behavior.

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Hello guys,

I had exactly the same problem this week.

I got it working by enabling User Account Control.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\ 
    "EnableLUA" to 1

Greetings,

Jeff

• Marked as answer by RonaldBe Monday, October 21, 2019 8:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:32 PM
  • Thanks for sharing Jeff, that solved the problem for me as well!

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008

Friday, August 9, 2019 8:13 AM
  • Thank you Jeff. 

I don't know if your answer is still applicable for the current 1903 build with updates but it seems it solved the issues in the past. Thank you for your help.

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:00 AM