none
Unable to join domain to windows server 2003

Question

• I have a computer server with windows server 2003 operating system and there's no problem to joining domain to a windows 2003 server from computer client with windows xp professional OS.

But later, i installing a new client computer with windows 7 ultimate OS and i unable to joining domain server.

Everytime i trying to join domain from control panel -->system and security-->system--> change setting and choose member of domain with the domain server name,error messages appears. " An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target Domains.

Please help me with the solution ,,

Thanks
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

May I know if the computer gets the network settings via a DHCP server?

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Check if you can ping the DC and DNS server with computer name and FQDN name.

2.    Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and see how it works:

1)     Go to “Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections”.

2)     Right-Click on the connection and choose Properties.

3)     Click “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Version 4” in the list.

4)     Click Properties, and then click Advanced.

5)     On the Advanced TCP/IP settings windows, go to “WINS” tab.

6)     Under NetBIOS setting, click “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP”, and then click OK.

3.    Boot to clean boot and see if you can join domain:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

4.    If you have another Windows 7 client which is not in a domain, please also check if you can join it to this domain.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:06 AM