none
Windows installing a bunch of stuff immediately after booting after inital deployment. Interfering with installing applications we want. How do I make it stop? RRS feed

• Question

• So we use MDT to deploy Windows 10 (1909, but had the same issue with 1903 and 1809,) and what I'm finding is TrustedInstaller.exe running almost nonstop for an hour or more, through multiple reboots. Whatever it's doing is interfering with the installer for one of our industry-specific applications, making it impossible to integrate into MDT, if not outright impossible to install at all. I already have automatic updates disabled, so whatever it's doing is coming from somewhere else. Is there any way to make this stop, at least until our software deployment is finished? Once that's done, I don't care what Windows does in the background after that, but we haven't been able to deploy an updated system since 1803 without first imaging 1803, installing what we need, and then upgrading it. This adds several hours to every single deployment, and I'm reaching the end of my rope here.

At this point, I've written a powershell script that counts down an arbitrary number of seconds and resets every time it detects TrustedInstaller or msiexec running. On one system, I ran it once for ten minutes, it detected nothing. I rebooted, ran it again, and like 5 minutes in, it detected TrustedInstaller. How am I supposed to work with this?

Friday, November 22, 2019 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hours. This goes on for hours, through at least half a dozen restarts, with no end in sight. What is Microsoft doing to these systems? Someone help me stop this madness.

Friday, November 22, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Hi, 

Would you describe your issue with more details? Such as what screen did you stuck in, did you check in Clean Boot environment, and others.

I noticed you created a script to cache the running application, but I would recommend to check with Process Monitor which would provide more related information and thread status. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Hi, 

Any update?

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:14 AM