Voice Modem problems with Unimodem Transform Module (Conexant USB modem) RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use my 'as generic as they come' unbranded Conexant CX93010 ACF 'USB Data Fax Voice Modem' to play wave file 'greetings' to callers using appropriate TAPI compliant software on my Win 7 SP1 x86 PC. Unfortunately the playing of wave files to the phone line results in silence when using TAPI. I've researched the issue and found that there is a long standing issue (since Vista) with problematic voice functionality and Conexant (at least) voice modems. From what I've been able to find on the internet, the problem seems to be with a Unimodem Transform Module (Microsoft provided file) bug. I have the latest Conexant provided driver installed for the modem - Windows update installed it and it's the same driver as that available from Conexants website for the chipset support (version 2.0.21.50).

Given Conexant is a major brand of modem chipset manufacturers, what is being done to rectify this problem and does anyone have any workarounds please (short of controlling the modem directly via the com port - when all functions fine except there's no modem sharing possible). I really want to use this modem with TAPI as it should work.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, the issue might be caused by incompatible driver or device on Windows 7.

I suggest to check the compatibility first, you can check it on Windows 7 Compatibility Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/

Update BIOS and Chipset, and device driver to the latest version. Also you’d better contact modem manufacturer for further help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Thanks for the swift reply Leo,

Like so many items of inexpensive hardware these days, it's a made in China 'non-branded-special' and the hardware ID is USB\VID_0572&PID_1329 - which you will work out equates to a generic Conexant Harley design. I am, as already mentioned, using the latest and greatest drivers from Conexants website (also available through the Microsoft Windows Update service automatically) and I can assure you the problem is not the modem manufacturers drivers (which work fine with windows XP using both TAPI/Direct control and using direct to port - not via TAPI - control in Vista and Win 7).

If you research the issue more on the internet, a search for "Will Vista ever fully support voice modem based on conexant chips" (try it) yields several posts/threads on the topic which point to this being due to a problem with the Unimodem Transform Module (again, that's a Microsoft provided file that comes with Windows). A possible reason why most other modems don't have the same problem could be explained by the fact that the Conexant modems in question are wanting to operate with 8-bit unsigned linear PCM at 8000 Hz and many other modems use different formats.

Any other suggestions that will work to actually address the problem will be greatly received!

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Thanks for the further reply Leo. When will this reply come? I've just received my notice to remind me to renew my Technet Subscription and one of the benifits mentioned is "Get technical questions resolved within 2 business days on Managed Forums" - well I'm still waiting for a resolution (or at least an official word advising whats going on about this).

If I'm to renew my Technet Subscription (which expires very soon), I need to feel as if I'm getting value for money. Please feel free to 'encourage' those looking into this to get back to me with an update sooner, rather than later.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul Murphy

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hi, 

Sorry for delay. After checking the issue, could you please involve Conexant support as well to work with us together?

http://www.conexant.com/

Thanks, 

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your reply/involvement. I'm perfectly happy to take my generic Conexant modem to Microsoft's HQ in Reading so they may test this to help with solving the problem (the same answer I gave you regarding the yet to be resolved issue with Win 7 Media Centre problems with Fast Forward and Rewind of received DVB-T TV). As I'm not part of Conexant and they are the Chipset provider rather than the modem manufacturer, I'm not 'their' customer as such. Because the modem has generic hardware ID details with no hint of an actual manufacturer (apart from the fact it was made somewhere in China according to a sticker on the case), I'm also unsure who the actual manufacturer is (the seller merely rebranded it).

I'm certain a big company such as Microsoft is more than capable of contacting another big company such as Conexant - in fact, I dare say you probably already have details of contacts that you liase with regarding driver certification etc. Are you having trouble getting in touch with Conexant?

Paul Murphy

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Kevin,

Our company is developing telephony software and telephony tools for programmers. We have been doing TAPI development for over 10 years. I want to confirm that this bug is present in all versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. This bug is not present in Windows XP and earlier versions of Windows. The problem appears to be in the Unimodem TSP or Unimodem audio driver (both part of Windows and provided by Microsoft). Audio playback using Unimodem audio driver doesn't work with any modem that has Conexant chipset, regardless of the modem manufacturer. It doesn't matter what modem driver is used. We tested with many different drivers, including the latest WHQL certified drivers from Windows Update. It's not a problem with the modem drivers. The same modem with the same driver plays audio just fine when software sends audio data directly to modem's COM port bypassing Unimodem audio driver.

Please get a person responsible for the Unimodem component in Windows involved. This bug was first reported in 2008 and it's still not fixed.

Michael Rakita

Traysoft Inc.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Hi Paul, 

This is again and sorry for the delay due to shift scheduler. 

After checking the issue with my tech leader, considering current issue is potential bug related your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support.  Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Meanwhile, for the developping problems, MSDN SDK forum would be another better choice:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories 

Please be assured that I'm not shirking the responsibility but confirm that we could involve proper resource to help on current scenario. 

Thanks for your time. 

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your further reply. Please be aware that I am also awaiting a further reply here from one of your colleagues a Manager within Technet, who has emailed me directly on this matter and promised he would post here. Can I just clarify that even though I've pointed out a bug, you still expect me to pay money and go through the motions of creating an official tech support case for this issue? Given everything that's already been posted in this thread (including Michael's very helpful post backing up my argument), you still don't believe this is a Microsoft bug - how many people and professional developers will it take to convince you?

I wish to scream bloody murder over this!

What happened to any hint of your company being remotely proactive and looking into such matters without having to be 'spoon fed' all the ins and outs (at significant cost both in time and money to those doing the spoon feeding)?  Why are you going back on what your Technet renewal email mentions as "Get technical questions resolved within 2 business days on Managed Forums" - note the word resolved! It shouldn't be necessary to become a member of the MSDN in order to get any action on this matter, I expect that from YOU.

If you give me a free upgrade to the Professional Technet Subscription at no extra cost over the standard one I have which is coming up for renewal soon then I would have no problems in using a case to do this but I fail to see why I should pay Microsoft money to help them out by reporting a problem with their product. What is the point in these managed forums otherwise - I may as well just post in a general newsgroup. You are here representing Microsoft and you simply aren't giving the company a good image, it's not good enough. Please rethink your stance.

Paul Murphy

• Proposed as answer by Davegthomas Saturday, September 1, 2012 4:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Davegthomas Saturday, September 1, 2012 4:40 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Why am I not surprised that Microsoft has gone quiet - perhaps they fixed it in Windows 8?

Saturday, September 1, 2012 4:54 PM
  • I have an RTM copy of Win 8 and will be plugging my Conexant Modem into that PC soon but I don't hold much hope it's been addressed yet or Microsoft more than likely would have issued retrospective fixes for Vista, Server 2008 and Win 7 (given they're the only 'official' affected OS's in use until that magic date in Oct when Win 8 goes on sale). If you're affected by this Davegthomas, I suggest you also write to your regions Managing Director (unless you have the ability to make a 'free' tech support submission) about it. My letter to the MD will be in the post soon. Going by what I've seen here so far, I expect it to take several back and forth efforts before anyone senior enough to do anything (and willing to be proactive about it) actually gets my letter. This really is an appalling state of affairs!

Paul Murphy

Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

I am also having issues with the Unimodem driver and specifically with audio playback on answering machine.I have tried modems with Conexant Chipsets and Intel Chipsets and i can confirm that they do not work under Windows 7 ( but do work fine under Windows XP). My question is: Couldn't just Microsoft leave things be?Do they really have to ruin everything? Working with modems is hard enough as it is...

If you can, please post your results with Windows 8.

Monday, October 1, 2012 12:52 PM
  • I certainly will post my results here but I wouldn't hold your breath for a positive outcome KlaudiuX! I'm very busy with work at the moment and have only a few days off until early November so it's unlikely Win 8 testing will be possible for me in the next couple of weeks.

Paul Murphy

Monday, October 1, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Nevermind, i had a chance to test it today on Win8 Pro.Still, no luck. Everything working (incomming call detect, DMTF detect) except audio playback:(. Seems noone cares about this problem...
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:19 AM
  • You're fortunate you've not needed to use the voice messaging functionality on the Conexant modem because thats where the problem shows itself when in TAPI mode. Although I too have a answer machine capable telephone (which cost alot more than this modem), it doesn't offer anwhere near the same level of functionality that this modem SHOULD be capable of (if these recent versions of Windows worked correctly to let it, that is).

Paul Murphy

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:20 AM
  • Seems the only answer to this whole forum is buy another modem that works and don't ask Microsoft to fix things free:)

Btw, i can recommend this modem by US Robotics:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0019LZCEI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d2_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1Z2EHW2DEJ91HPFZXX4X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317819927&pf_rd_i=468294

They guarantee on the manufacturer website that it has compatibility with Windows 7 and also voice capabilities with this OS.(haven't tested it yet, but when and if i get a chance i'll post the results here)

• Edited by KlaudiuX Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:08 AM chance not change!D'oh...
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:07 AM
  • The funny thing is that I already HAVE a US Robotics 5637! It's a modem which until a recent firmware update, never had voice capability at all. I have updated to provide voice but I can find no fully compatible software to take advantage of its voice capabilities. Unfortunately the latest version of PhoneTools I found 9.07a, ignores its voice capabilities. Maybe if you make enquiries with the manufacturer, it will encourage them to look at this? I've already tried but the more, the merrier, in terms of giving them the message there's a need for this.

Back to the Conexant modem though, I'm astounded that after all this time, a solution hasn't been developed by Microsoft. It's all well and good Microsoft adding new thingamejigs to Windows and taking away my much loved start button in Windows 8 but what about fixing the basics first. It seems the company has gone downhill since Mr Gates reduced his involvement in running it!

Paul Murphy

Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:57 AM
  • The funny thing is that I already HAVE a US Robotics 5637! It's a modem which until a recent firmware update, never had voice capability at all. I have updated to provide voice but I can find no fully compatible software to take advantage of its voice capabilities. Unfortunately the latest version of PhoneTools I found 9.07a, ignores its voice capabilities. Maybe if you make enquiries with the manufacturer, it will encourage them to look at this? I've already tried but the more, the merrier, in terms of giving them the message there's a need for this.

Back to the Conexant modem though, I'm astounded that after all this time, a solution hasn't been developed by Microsoft. It's all well and good Microsoft adding new thingamejigs to Windows and taking away my much loved start button in Windows 8 but what about fixing the basics first. It seems the company has gone downhill since Mr Gates reduced his involvement in running it!

Paul Murphy

Hi,

I'M in the same situation, I was using EZVoice under winXP and ungraded to Win 7 64 Bits and can't get my modem to work with this software, can you give it a try with your USR 5637, this would help me out to know if it is compatible. Already bought 2 modems and didn't have any succes

Thank you

EzVoice link:http://ezvoice.sunshinesoftsolutions.com/

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Sorry Marcel Leb but I only have the 32 bit version of Win 7 and my old scanner drivers along with my old printer drivers will only work with a 32 bit flavour OS so no 64 bit OS here.

I note on the URL you provided that the system requirements mention up to Win XP or 2003 - no mention of more recent OS's and as Win 7 is different to XP wrt its TAPI workings, I suspect it's not meant to be compatible. The people at the website you've given would be those to try contacting about the matter.

FWIW I'll be hoping the new version of PhoneTray Pro due out at the end of November will eventually get TAM support as that will be Win 7 and 8 compatible and the package would then meet all my modem related needs apart from Faxing (which Windows handles well enough natively for my liking).

Paul Murphy

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:40 PM
  • I have the same problem. I took an usb voice modem from US Robotics (USR805637). They say it supports win7 and win8 and that it uses their own driver and not microsoft one ... now I find out that both of those assertions are false ...

This is pure crap.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:37 AM
  • I'm surprised to read that DrAg0n1 because my USR 5637 seems to work perfectly fine as far as voice capabilities are concerned with the new version of PhoneTray Pro under Windows 7 (both in TAPI Modem sharing mode and direct to port mode). Have you updated your modem with the latest Firmware available from the relevant USR support website page and then installed the latest drivers (obtainable from the same place)? These updates are required to give voice capability to the modem and to correctly have Windows recognise it (it is NOT natively supported by the OS ie there aren't built-in drivers for it).

PhoneTray Pro even works around the issue this thread was created for with my Conexant modem by making the voice playback part work directly so I can use both modems for anonymous call blocking. USR still hasn't provided any suitable Telephone answering machine (TAM) software that works with this modem as the version of PhoneTools linked to on their support site (currently 9.07a) does NOT recognise this modems newly granted voice capabilities. I'm hoping PhoneTray Pro will eventually include TAM functionality to fill that gap though.

Paul Murphy

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Yes, I updated both firmware and driver.

I can't hear the loopback (no tone or anything).

It is a problem related to the Microsoft driver as you said ...

How can you make the voice playback to work directly ?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:42 PM
  • For what reason do you want voice playback to work - are you simply wanting to play a compatible format audio file down the phone line (which is what I'm referring to)? There's no need with this USR modem to go direct to com port for this specific function, it was the Conexant modem that I was referring to in that regard. When I last checked, the USR manual for the 5637 modem listed various 'speakerphone' related AT commands but the functionality I'm referring to is 'TAM' related and many 'voice' capable modems don't do both.

Rather than blaming the problem this thread was started for as being due to a Microsoft 'Driver', it'll be clearer to not use that term in case people think it referrs to the package that contains (among other things) a configuration/inf file which is available from USR. As for the ins and outs of TAPI development, the MSDN library should help, I know it covers inf development very well.

Paul Murphy

• Edited by Flying Kiwi Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:31 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Hi Paul and all

Has there been any resolution with this?

I have a Netcomm Serial port RS232 modem which I was using happily under Windows XP to play a greeting message and record a message (using software I wrote that uses TAPI3).

I've just installed Windows 7, loaded the drivers, and noticed that the greeting message or recording does not function. I note that the "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device" was installed.

Unless I've misunderstood, this seems to be the same issue being discussed in this thread.

Has any workaround been discovered to allow normal use of TAPI3 and TAM-style functionality with modems that worked fine under Windows XP?

Do you know of any modems out there which would work fine?

Kind regards

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:02 PM
  • I try Conexant USB CX93010 ACF Modem (USB\VID_0572&PID_1340&REV_0100) with auto installed drivers in Win 8.1 x64. Answering machine work i hear a file on opposite end with PhoneTray trial. But other voice functions dont. I expect that i hear a phone line in system sound devices or appear new sound device in OS. Like with old voice modems.

Can anybody suggest me USB modems with this voice functions?

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 11:32 PM
  • Answering machine work i hear a file on opposite end with PhoneTray trial. But other voice functions dont. I expect that i hear a phone line in system sound devices or appear new sound device in OS. Like with old voice modems.

Can anybody suggest me USB modems with this voice functions?

This is also a case of expecting full 'speakerphone' functionality out of a modem that's only capable of doing 'TAM' (telephone answer machine) functions. My USR 5637 gave up the ghost after a lightning storm a year or so ago (by loosing its USR PnP ID altogether and resorting to it's base Lucent PnP ID - very unusual) so I cant even say if that will do what your asking for. Currently I don't think PhoneTray supports speakerphone functionality as that's not required for its primary purpose but it should fully support what the Conexant USB modem is capable of.

I've been a PhoneTray user now for some time and it's well worth the small cost if you get telemarketing calls. If you email PhoneTray support (accessible from the website), they should be able to point you in the right direction. The same website also refers to 'compatible' modems (including some USB ones but again I don't think these give 'speakerphone' capabilities, only TAM).

Paul Murphy

Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:01 AM