none
Windows 10 Delivery Optimization not working for Express Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We use SCCM CB (1706) to deploy Windows 10 Express Updates, in the most part this is working well, however we have a handful of machines that seem to be swamping the network bandwidth trying to download the express updates.

From what I can tell, the client is workin through the delta's and requesting files, but when the downlaod kicks in it seems to be trying to download all of the .psf files from the Ditribution Point instead of the ranges needed to update the machine.

From the CMBitsManager.log file

For CMBITS job {34BB6C29-3D19-426C-A5D9-EE7172164891}, CTM job {1DB9E93D-247C-4304-91AB-3AE1B1CA642E} entered phase CCM_DOWNLOADSTATUS_DOWNLOADING_DATA

Total Files: 1, Transferred Files: 0, Total Bytes: 1351297024, Transferred Bytes: 343830528

this then repeats until it moves onto the next one.

The total bytes corrolates to the size of one of the psf files, but if you watch the log it changes to the sizes of the others too,

So it looks like the client(s) are continuely downloading all the psf files which is killing the network. For reference the Delivery Optimization service on these machines seems to be 'not there' i.e its listed but it cannot be started/stopped or edited. The downloads never complete.

On a machine this is downloading the updates correctly we can see in all the SCCM logs the machines is indeed working through the express updates and picking out the ranges it needed. Example from CMBitsManger.log on a working machine

For CMBITS job {06B060EB-E917-47DA-AFCB-35BF975FF967}, CTM job {A31EB75B-2404-4D1F-8B65-31FE5C0C622C} entered phase CCM_DOWNLOADSTATUS_DOWNLOADING_DATA

Total Files: 1, Transferred Files: 0, Total Bytes: 0, Transferred Bytes: 0

CCMBITSManager::NotifyDownloadComplete

The express download on this machine completed as expected, the only difference being is that the Delivery Optimization service looks as you would expect, i.e can stop/start/edit it.

We have the Download Mode set to 0 (http only) via GPO.

Has anyone come across this before? How can I get the service into a working state on these machines?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, for Delivery Optimization, you could check the settings below.

Internet connection is needed at all times.
    HTTPS (443) connection needed to *.do.dsp.mp.microsoft.com
    And our corporate firewall did HTTPS inspection. which we set to bypass.

To help you better, you could post the issue to SCCM forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?category=ConfigMgrCB

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:23 AM
  • Thanks I've posted in the other forum.

just for reference, it only seems to be a handful of machines, as we have over 600 Windows 10 devices (mainly 1607) and the majority seem to be OK. 

it seems a few are doing this and chewing up all the bandwidth.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:53 AM