Windows Vista Backup and Restore Centre: Backup error 0x80070001 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have Windows Vista Home Premium and was trying to backup my system to DVD-R disks using Backup and Restore Centre and after inserting Disk 2 for a backup to be copied to the disk, an error code was displayed.

ERROR
    The Backup did not complete successfully  
    An error occured. The following information might help you resolve the error:  
    Incorrect Funtion. (0x80070001)  

Backup Time: 9/01/2009 8:51PM  
    Backup Location: DVD RW Drive (E:) 
    Backup

I have tried restarting the backup and the computer and there was still no success.

I was wondering what steps I should take to reslove this issue.

Thank you,
    Alex McAnulty
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Alex

The error 0x80070001 ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION is usually the result of an error caused by something interfering during the transmission of data.

In this case it would be the data being passed to the DVD burner.

This can have many causes, but the most common in a case like this is another program or process that is running and causing the problem.

I recommend performing a clean boot and running the backup program.

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All".

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, you can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Run the backup program immediately after the reboot and before you perform any other functions on the computer. Do not use the computer while the backup program is running.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex

The error 0x80070001 ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION is usually the result of an error caused by something interfering during the transmission of data.

In this case it would be the data being passed to the DVD burner.

This can have many causes, but the most common in a case like this is another program or process that is running and causing the problem.

I recommend performing a clean boot and running the backup program.

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All".

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, you can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Run the backup program immediately after the reboot and before you perform any other functions on the computer. Do not use the computer while the backup program is running.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:08 AM
  • This is the KB article with the answer for the above error message. The person who marked themselves as the answer doesn't seem to be aware of this problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973455
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:01 AM