How to disable a monitor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've created a customized management pack which uses a class which comes from a sealed management pack. The monitor which got created in the MP is enabled by default and to uncheck that option is impossible as it is greyed out.

Detailed steps which I took for creating this MP. This will give a clear picture of I trying to achieve.

1) Using Authoring console I created an empty management pack.

2) Added references from the properties to the new MP. By default the references which came were System.library, MS.windows.library, MS.Systemcenter.library. I added MS.systemcenter.instancegroup.library, MS.systemcenter.NTservice.library & system.Mom.backwordcompatibility.library.

3) Created custom class using the base class as Microsoft.systemcenter.pwnprocessNTservice.

4) Used a wmi query to call all win32_service and gave parameters

5) Created a discovery using the target as MS.Windows.Computer and used the custom class created in discovery mapper section.

This created a  monitor with the type of basic service monitor (inherited from windows service and management pack windows service library)

Is there any way that I can disable this monitor by default? I know the other way of disabling it thru overrides but was curious to know if we could disable it by default not by using overrides. 

Adhok

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks Blake & Nicholas for your replies. I've disabled the monitor using the override only.

Adhok

• Edited by Adhokd Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:27 AM add more to reply
    • Marked as answer by Adhokd Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:27 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hey Adhok.

Yes you can disable the monitor by default...... go to the properties of the monitor.....select Opitions.... select Enabled [Value='true'] (which is by default) & by clicking it you will have drop down menu & you have a option to make it false.

Cheers

Vrkumar01

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

I tried that option but the whole thing is greyed out. It shows the value as true but not allowing me to double click it.

Adhok

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:29 PM
  • That's odd.  Are you sure this is for the custom monitor you created or are you trying to directly modify the referenced monitor.  That is what is sounds like to me.

When you create a new monitor, and you want to use a provider that is in a reference managment pack, on your new monitor the ability to enable or disable should be there.

To be honest, you should be able to just create a basic service monitor and disable it by default.  Why don't you want to use the built in basic service monitor?

One other thing you can try, is to export the sealed reference management pack (use powershell), then use that unsealed version as your reference and see if you can disable it then.

I can tell you, doing the above, will of course not be supported and could very well break things.  I also doubt the unsealed vendor MP would import due to conflict with the sealed version in your instance.

Regards, Blake Email: mengottohotmail.com Blog: http//discussitnow.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:38 PM
  •  

Hi,

Please also try the following method:

How to Disable a Monitor or Rule Using Overrides

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309583.aspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks Blake & Nicholas for your replies. I've disabled the monitor using the override only.

Adhok

• Edited by Adhokd Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:27 AM add more to reply
    • Marked as answer by Adhokd Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:27 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:26 AM