none
Problem issus to logon to server 2008 r2, freeze on the grey screen after the CTRL+ALT+DEL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In our infastructure we have a logon problem in a physical windows server 2k8 R2 which the the screen froze on the grey screen of windows 2k8 R2 after CTRL+ALT+DEL and thats through RDP or through the console, and the problem resolved after a hard reboot but he reappear every once in awhile. when we restart the system its provides a temporary fix but we would like to find a permanant solutions. And when it happend all the provide services from this server works perfectly. please can anyone have any ideas about how to solve the problem.

Monday, August 19, 2019 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, system reboot is helpful, if possible, please re-start system in Clean Boot, do not manually start any 3rd party process, you can open some system built-in applications, wait for a period of time and confirm that if problem happens again. It would be helpful to determine whether background programs are interfering with it.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Besides, please monitoring system resources usage, using tool such as Task Manager – Performance, make sure that there is enough free and available resources. Also, if it is physical device, please access the hardware official website, check/update hardware driver, make sure that driver version is compatible with current OS version, it would be helpful for improving the performance. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:50 AM
  • hi,

thanks for your answer, but to re-start each time for testing which 3rd part process or app that cause can't be possible, because the hyperV machine's in it works perfectly, and we have our First DC even our exchange server in it. 

and the problem reappear few hours after we re-start the hard machine's, i guess the problem is due to the netlogin but i don't know how to solve the problem yet. 

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

>but to re-start each time for testing which 3rd part process or app that cause can't be possible
    In general, we only re-start the system in Clean Boot for one time and confirm that if problem will happen with all 3rd party process disabled. If problem do not happen again, we need to re-start system with 3rd party process enabled one by one to narrow down the problem.

If possible, we can try Clean Boot for one time and check the result. 

As you had mentioned, it is DC with Exchange configured, and if your production environment is not inconvenience for such test, please check Event Viewer and confirm that if there is any relate event has been logged. We can try to find relate event based on the problem happens time. 

Also, hardware driver update is worthy to have a try.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:30 AM
  • hi, 

i have checked the Event Viewer and i have no event related, and the clean Boot will not be possible because the main DC and Exchange are virtual machines in that physical machine (to be precise i have 5 HyperV machines in it), so i can shutdown those hyperV machines for test juste for one hour or two in the morning but this problem take more time to reappears;

i checked and remove every updates of this 2 weeks and same thing, i guess it's NetLogon but i'm not sure and i find a lot of people have the same issues (just in Windows 2k8 R2)but no one have solve this problem they have to hard re-start the physical machine.

thanks for your responds;

Saturday, August 24, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

If there is no event has been found, then, detail tracing log/process monitoring should be necessary for further identification about the problem.

Tools such as Process Monitor can be considered:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, August 26, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:19 AM