none
Demoting Win 2008 Std (32-bit) DC - Remove DNS Delegation question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I am planning on demoting a Win2k8 Std DC using dcpromo.  The FSMO roles are held by other Win2k8 R2 DCs in the same domain.  This current DC being demoted is a GC (other DCs are also GC and so I think that should not be an issue).  When running dcpromo, on the "Remove DNS Delegation" screen (with the default option checked i.e. Delete DNS delegations pointing...) - What exactly is being removed here from a DNS perspective? 

- Is it only the relevant SRV records for this specific DC that will be removed from the other DCs (all DNS in the domain is AD integrated).

- Anything else being deleted i.e. I am hoping that none of the current DNS zones will be deleted (the text on the screen is throwing me off a bit)

Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:39 PM

Answers

• That option removes any DNS delegation records for that specific server in DNS.  If that server is no longer going to run DNS, you wouldnt want any delegation records pointing to it.

The process will also remove the appropriate SRV records.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    • Marked as answer by jatdesi Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:41 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:45 PM
  • This particular feature attempts to remove delegations within zones configured on other DNS servers that point to the DNS server on the DC you are demoting. In other words, assuming that this works as intended, its effect would be beneficial, since it would eliminate pointers to the DNS server which is no longer operational.

None of the DNS zones will be deleted as part of the DCPROMO as long as they are hosted on other domain controllers. More at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771844(WS.10).aspx

hth
    Marcin

Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:48 PM

All replies

• That option removes any DNS delegation records for that specific server in DNS.  If that server is no longer going to run DNS, you wouldnt want any delegation records pointing to it.

The process will also remove the appropriate SRV records.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:45 PM
  • This particular feature attempts to remove delegations within zones configured on other DNS servers that point to the DNS server on the DC you are demoting. In other words, assuming that this works as intended, its effect would be beneficial, since it would eliminate pointers to the DNS server which is no longer operational.

None of the DNS zones will be deleted as part of the DCPROMO as long as they are hosted on other domain controllers. More at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771844(WS.10).aspx

hth
    Marcin

Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Why in labs do I not see this, but in my production environment it is asking me "Remove DNS Delegation"?

Running 3 Domain controllers Windows 2012R2, functional level 2003.  

Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:42 PM