none
Windows 7 Profile failure and cant log in RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 personal laptop that only has one account (Admin).  For the last several days when I try to login it gives me an error that my profile has failed and then says logging off....I cant get in to try to recover or troubleshoot....please help.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may try System Restore in system recovery options.

I would like to suggest you boot into Safe Mode to check if the system built-in administrator account is enabled.

If it does not work, you may need to backup all the important files with Command Prompt in system recovery options and reinstall operating system.

XCOPY {Old file location} {New file location} /E

For example, if I want to backup the files from C:\Test\Backup to D:\Backup, I can type the following command.

XCOPY C:\Test\Backup D:\Backup /E

Note: When the "(F=file, D=directory)?)" message is received, please press “D” on the keyboard to continue the copy.

For more information about this issue, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may try System Restore in system recovery options.

I would like to suggest you boot into Safe Mode to check if the system built-in administrator account is enabled.

If it does not work, you may need to backup all the important files with Command Prompt in system recovery options and reinstall operating system.

XCOPY {Old file location} {New file location} /E

For example, if I want to backup the files from C:\Test\Backup to D:\Backup, I can type the following command.

XCOPY C:\Test\Backup D:\Backup /E

Note: When the "(F=file, D=directory)?)" message is received, please press “D” on the keyboard to continue the copy.

For more information about this issue, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Try this :

If you ever receive this error message when running in normal mode, System Restore will be the best option. However, if the restoration failed or there is no restore point available, you can try the steps below (Note that creating New User Account does not work)

1.       F8 > Safe mode

2.       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

3.       Look for 3 things : ‘RefCount’ key & State key value is 0 (Change it to 0 if it’s something else) and check whether any of the profile SID end with ‘.bak’ (If yes proceed with no.4 if no go to no.5)

4.       Rename current profile to ‘.new’ and remove ‘.bak’ from the the other SID and reboot (should be working fine after reboot)

5.       Restart the system and try again

If having an issue after this step, you dont have any other options other than to delete the user account and create a new one. To do that :

1.       F8 > Safe mode

2.       Start Search > CMD > Right click, run as administrator

3.       Type Net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter

4.       Reboot and you will get back the ‘hidden’ Administrative account

5.       Login to Administrator account and advice customer to backup everything required from the old account and delete the account from Control Panel

6.       Go to Start > Start Search > regedit

7.       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

8.       Delete the corrupted profile and restart the system

9.       Try creating a new user account after log on using the Administrator account

10.   Log off and try again

Thank you

Freak05

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:34 AM