none
Can you convert bkf files on Windows 10?

Question

• Hello. I posted this question on the Microsoft forum and was told it was best suited on technet. I was just directed to post in this forum.<o:p></o:p>

My family recently got a new home computer and are looking to move files backed up on an external hard drive onto the new desktop. However, the problem is the backup files were stored as a bkf file (as the previous desktop ran windows xp) and the new computer has Window’s 10.<o:p></o:p>

After some googling I found that Microsoft has their Microsoft’s NT Backup Restore Utility available for download online. While the program converts bkf files, it does not work for Windows 10.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

When I tried installing the previous versions I am met with one of two issues. When I try to install the original NT Backup, I get a message saying that I need to turn on Removable Storage Management. However, I cannot find Removable Storage Management in the Add Features section of the Administrative Tools.<o:p></o:p>

The second issue I come across is when I try to install the Windows 7 compatible version of NT Backup. I keep getting the Windows Update Standalone Installer error 0x80096002. I am assuming this is because the software is not compatible with Windows 10 or because the update needs the original NT Backup downloaded (which I can’t due to not being able to find Removable Storage Management).<o:p></o:p>

When I right click the installers, the option to run in compatibility mode with a previous version of Windows does not work. There is also no option to run in compatibility with Windows 10.<o:p></o:p>

My question is if it is possible to get NT Backup running on Windows 10 to convert the BKF Files. Unfortunately, the laptops in the house run Windows 10, so I cannot install the NT Backup on a compatible computer.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Thanks again for your help<o:p></o:p>

Monday, March 05, 2018 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Dawn,

You could use this BKF-Repair.exe tool coming from Microsoft:

How to Open BKF File in Windows 7,8,8.1,10 & Vista - Technical Way

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/How-To-Open-BKF-File-In-e8614f53

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 6:22 AM
  • <o:p> </o:p>That works, thank you. I am able to see the old files. However, I am assuming I have to buy the program to save them on my computer, correct? I get a message saying it is a demo version and I need to purchase to “save recovered data”.

Friday, March 09, 2018 3:19 AM
  • <o:p> </o:p>That works, thank you. I am able to see the old files. However, I am assuming I have to buy the program to save them on my computer, correct? I get a message saying it is a demo version and I need to purchase to “save recovered data”.

Yes. Further price information, it's recommend you contact Aryson support.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 09, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Hi Dawn,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Monday, March 12, 2018 9:23 AM
  • Sorry for the delay. I am purchasing the software now. As of now, the issue should be resolved. 
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:08 PM
  • Sorry for the delay. I am purchasing the software now. As of now, the issue should be resolved. 

If so, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:05 AM
  • Will do. I keep getting a message that says "Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later" when I go through paypal. I have been waiting for that to clear up. When I do, I will mark it as resolved.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:44 PM
  • Any update?

Friday, March 16, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Paypal option was down. I managed to get it to work by selecting the paypal option under the share*it check-out section. I now have to wait for an email with the software key. 
    Sunday, March 18, 2018 11:12 PM
  • Ok, Look forward to receiving your good news.

Monday, March 19, 2018 9:15 AM
  • I have received the code and I am able to save the files. Only issue I am having right now is that I cannot figure out how to convert/restore them to their original format. I have looked on Aryson's website and I only find information about saving the bkf files as bkfaryson files. Is there a way to restore the recovered files to their original format?
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:21 PM
  • I suggest you contact Aryson support for more professional help since I don't know their product well.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Thanks, got it. I am sending an email to support right now. I will let you know when I hear back from them.

• Edited by Dawn2364 Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:51 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:51 PM
  • Thanks, got it. I am sending an email to support right now. I will let you know when I hear back from them.

Any update?

Monday, March 26, 2018 9:45 AM
  • Unfortunately,  I still haven't heard back yet. I will let you know when I do.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:01 PM