none
Recycle Bin not emptying.

Question

• One of my hard drives seemed awfully full, even after emptying the recycle bin.

Eventually, I found in the Recycle Bin a SECOND Recycle Bin, with a padlock against it.   Inside that, there was a "file" called S-1-15-some great long number.   I right-clicked that, then Ctrl- Delete.  

The machine took several minutes to delete what it told me were over 15,000 items using 3GB of drive space.   I have no idea what they were - the names flashed past too fast to read them, but what's happening?   What are these "hidden" files in the Recycle Bin that won't recycle?  

Is this a "feature" or a "bug"?   Or am I doing something wrong?   The machine seems to work just fine since I deleted them.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 9:33 PM

All replies

• The recycle bin occasionally gets corrupted. Somtimes the system alerts the user but often not. This has bean happening on every version of windows I have used so far and for me the only solution is the one you just used.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Thanks, yes, that's what I thought.   But this evening another file has appeared in the recycle bin, called S-1-5-21-1417001333-1123561945-1801674531-1003
    It seems to be a folder, although the bin calls it a file, and "properties" shows it as 53MB in size, containing 230 files in 6 folders.

I've deleted it - although it proved particularly resilient:  I had to chase it down the drive structure to the end before I could get rid of it.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Those are system files and should definatley be there. If you know for sure the bin is corrupt you can just delete all the replicated files and folders.

Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, this situation is not a feature or bug. This sub folder is another account Recycle Bin in the computer.

If you delete these files, another account recycle bin will be emptied.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Intriguing!   There's only one active account on both machines.   Anyway, I deleted all the surplus Recycle Bins, and eventually they stayed gone.   Could it be that Windows updates are causing this, being installed by something that isn't "me"?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Recycle bin creates system folders depending on the number of partitions and OS systems installed. No worries.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:28 AM