Download only needed features of ADK w10 (1607)? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to DL only DeploymentTools of ADK W10 v 1607.  The help on adksetup.exe says use the /Features command line option but when I do, I get an error saying I must DL all features and to remove the /Features option.  Can I DL only the features I really need (less than a 100 MB) instead of the full 3.3 GB?  I need the files for offline install of other systems.    Thanks and enjoy, John.
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 12:35 AM

Answers

• Thanks,ZigZag3143x for your reply.  I used your first reference and used the command line procedure at the bottom, combining steps 4 and 8 to DL only the needed files (<100MB) instead of the entire set (>3 GB).  It failed and said to remove the /Features parameter and DL the entire file set.  Can I DL just the files I need?

Thanks and enjoy, John.

• Marked as answer by johnhc2 Monday, September 26, 2016 6:45 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 3:29 PM
  • Um first I did not reply.

Second no you cant just download what you need

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

• Marked as answer by johnhc2 Monday, September 26, 2016 6:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by johnhc2 Monday, September 26, 2016 6:45 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi johnhc2,

" I need the files for offline install of other systems"
    Please refer to the following link`s steps.
    Download Windows ADK to an offline PC
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/dn621908.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

We could get Windows 10 1607 ADK here.
    Download the Windows ADK
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, September 26, 2016 10:30 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 6:41 AM
  • Thanks,ZigZag3143x for your reply.  I used your first reference and used the command line procedure at the bottom, combining steps 4 and 8 to DL only the needed files (<100MB) instead of the entire set (>3 GB).  It failed and said to remove the /Features parameter and DL the entire file set.  Can I DL just the files I need?

Thanks and enjoy, John.

Monday, September 26, 2016 3:29 PM
  • Um first I did not reply.

Second no you cant just download what you need

• Marked as answer by johnhc2 Monday, September 26, 2016 6:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by johnhc2 Monday, September 26, 2016 6:45 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 6:03 PM
  • Thought this indicated you were the author:

This is poor design to always require DLing the entire package.  When only one feature is being installed, only the necessary files are DLed.

Thanks and enjoy, John.

Monday, September 26, 2016 6:49 PM
  • John

It just indicated that I thought MeipoXu post was a good one and should be considered as an answer.  I dont work for Microsoft so I cannot comment on why they want the entire package downloaded.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:19 AM
  • There is a way to just get the Deployment Tools from the ADK without downloading the entire kit, but if you are looking for something else, then I do not know of a way.

The /features option not working with the web installer alone is not surprising, but it sounds like they could put a better error message on it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Thanks, Tripredacus (seen you on MSFN?).  Please post your process for the Development Tools.  I guess I could discover, some how, where the files are DLed and capture them.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:42 PM
  • JFX had made a program where you can download the deployment tools of the ADK Only, but if you need to get the ADK for making a WinPE, you still need to download the entire thing. I typically will choose the option to download and install on another computer when running adksetup. Then you can just download the full thing once and put it anywhere.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:44 PM
  • OK, thanks, Tripredacus.  Enjoy, John.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:38 PM