none
Can't Connect to VPN Networks: Weird Behavior. RRS feed

• Question

• First off, this issue isn't about the actual connecting of a VPN network, but reconnecting in a sense. 

I am trying to connect to a vpn, and my information is wrong, whether it be server, username/pass word, etc.

So I get a return message stating what the issue is BUT I can not go back to try to reconnect. I am stuck on that message and can not reconnect. This is a screen cap after I tried to connect with improper credentials.(Nevermind my account hasn't been verified yet, but in the screen cap it shows the purple sidebar on the right of the screen saying
    *At the top header*
    "NETWORKS"

*Displays the VPN Name I am connecting to *

Under that "Error connecting to VPN.."
    "The error message regarding why it can't connect"

)[I will post screencap when I can]

No where on the sidebar is there the back button to reconnect to VPNs.

My issue isn't the error or anything related to connecting, but the fact that I can not "go back and reconnect" I have tried going through Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center and I click on set up a new connection or network and from here if I choose connect to an existing, or create a new connection, it pops up that purple sidebar again with the error message and still no way to "go back'..

Only way I have been able to reconnect was to restart and try the connection again. but, if I get an error message, It produces this same behavior.

This question is not regarding my VPN connection, the issue is I should not have to restart my computer every time I want to reconnect to a vpn that has failed its connection.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't quite understand the description, do you mean that you're unable to reconnect to the VPN, because you don't have the back button like the picture below? It sounds weird. I suspect that the process hangs at that moment

As a workaround, you can launch task manager, under "Process"tab, then scroll down to "Windows Explorer", restart the process, after that, click the system tray internet icon ,  you should be able to view all your connections.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:01 AM

All replies

• I still would like to know the cause of the unable to reconnect issue, But as far as me not being able to connect I found my issue just check the WAN Miniport IP and see if it is working correctly, if not, follow this link and itll fix it.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/df23faf4-2811-47cd-ae33-f433ed6f3fbd/vpn-not-working-missing-device?forum=w8itpronetworking
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

I don't quite understand the description, do you mean that you're unable to reconnect to the VPN, because you don't have the back button like the picture below? It sounds weird. I suspect that the process hangs at that moment

As a workaround, you can launch task manager, under "Process"tab, then scroll down to "Windows Explorer", restart the process, after that, click the system tray internet icon ,  you should be able to view all your connections.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:01 AM