none
USB ports not working (x3) Packard Bell EasyNote MZ35

Question

•  

My usb ports have stopped working and do not recognise any devices when i attach them, i have tried windows update, system restore and nothing seems to work. If anyone can help me id much appreciate it, thanks alot.
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This problem may be a software issue or a hardware issue.

Let’s troubleshoot it on software’s side.

I did a research on Packard Bell official website, it only offer chipset driver for Windows XP. It means you cannot reinstall the chipset driver separately. Given the situation, I have following suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. If you are prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue" each time it prompts.

Suggestion 2: In-place Upgrade Installation

===============================

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem. I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Suggestion 3: Clean Installation

Note: In a Clean Installation, existing data is removed. This data includes personal data and settings. After you install the Operating System, you must also reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data before you perform a Clean Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from DVD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.

3. Please input the language and other preferences, click Next and click Install Now.

4. Please input the product key when we are prompted.

5. After reading the license terms, check the box beside "I accept the license terms" and click Next.

6. Please click the box "Custom (Advanced)" to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista.

7. Choose a partition to install the system, then click Next.

8. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the installation.

For more information:

How to install Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

If the issues still persists after taking above suggestions, I suspect this is a hardware issue. It is recommended you contact your computer manufacturer to take a test on hardware. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 08, 2008 6:17 AM

All replies

• Try this update:

Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600/en-us

Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:21 PM
  • The update wasnt apparently needed on my system Tongue Tied

"This update does not apply to your system"

Friday, August 08, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

This problem may be a software issue or a hardware issue.

Let’s troubleshoot it on software’s side.

I did a research on Packard Bell official website, it only offer chipset driver for Windows XP. It means you cannot reinstall the chipset driver separately. Given the situation, I have following suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. If you are prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue" each time it prompts.

Suggestion 2: In-place Upgrade Installation

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem. I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Suggestion 3: Clean Installation

Note: In a Clean Installation, existing data is removed. This data includes personal data and settings. After you install the Operating System, you must also reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data before you perform a Clean Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from DVD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.

3. Please input the language and other preferences, click Next and click Install Now.

4. Please input the product key when we are prompted.

5. After reading the license terms, check the box beside "I accept the license terms" and click Next.

6. Please click the box "Custom (Advanced)" to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista.

7. Choose a partition to install the system, then click Next.

8. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the installation.

For more information:

How to install Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

If the issues still persists after taking above suggestions, I suspect this is a hardware issue. It is recommended you contact your computer manufacturer to take a test on hardware. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 08, 2008 6:17 AM
  •  

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:46 AM
  • Hi

I have had a seemingly identical problem. I receive the error pop-up saying 'USB device not recognised' for all three USB ports on my EasyNote, for any device I try. I have tried every solution suggested here, even the windows reinstall, with no success. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:34 AM
  • I have a sony viao laptop and out of no where my wireless mouse stopped working. I was getting the error your usb device is not recognised. I went to sony's support site and got this: shut down your system. remove the power cord, the battery and the all usb devices. wait 30 sec. put battery and usb devices back. turn system back on. this corrected my problem. mouse working again. good luck
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 12:57 PM
  • I have a sony viao laptop and out of no where my wireless mouse stopped working. I was getting the error your usb device is not recognised. I went to sony's support site and got this: shut down your system. remove the power cord, the battery and the all usb devices. wait 30 sec. put battery and usb devices back. turn system back on. this corrected my problem. mouse working again. good luck
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Hi James,

I know it is long time ago but did you get this problem fixed ? I have the exact same Laptop with the same problems and I can't seem to fix it... Not even BIOS will recognise a USB keyboard. Funny thing is that I have a USB light. And all of the USB ports can give power to the light !!!

Hope for your prompt answer.

Regards,

Sune

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:19 PM