none
W10 1607 - Need Help to Populate the Language List RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I followed Add Language Packs to Windows https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/add-language-packs-to-windows and ran

Dism /Add-Package /Image:"C:\mount\windows"...

from "Add a language" section. I am still unable to see the 2nd language pack right away, however, when I add it manually,  I am able to see the second language pack (here it is English (United Kingdom)) as "Language pack available":

Could you please advise me how to pre-populate the language list in order to have the 2nd language pack as "Language pack installed" in the language list from the first login without any other manipulations in the settings:

Thank you very much, in advance!

• Edited by Jennifer2B2 Monday, January 23, 2017 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Assuming you've successfully installed language pack in 2nd image, you can remove English US. This should make English UK as your preferred language. Correct me if I misunderstood your query.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Hi Kapil,

Thank you for the follow-up! I know that I can remove the default English (United States) using /DISM /Get-Packages or DISM /Get-Capabilities.

I want:

1. both languages to be in the list.
    2. the 2nd language to have the Language pack installed status.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:05 PM
  • unable to see the 2nd language pack right away, however, when I add it manually,  I am able to see the second language pack

What did you do for that step?

FWIW when related questions have come up I have asked what users get from this PowerShell query

Get-WindowsCapability -Online | where Name -match "en-GB"

Then assuming you are seeing State: Not present  a question would be what does that mean?  And a related question is:  What are the semantics of the related  Add-WindowsCapability  cmdlet and why isn't there an  Enable-  one?  Etc.   Unfortunately there is apparently no link in the Help, so  Get-Help  Add-WindowsCapability  -Online  does not work.

BING found one for us

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn705763.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 

That is really no different from the Online help but for some reason now this stands out more

<quote>
    acquires a Windows capability package from a priority-ordered list of source locations, and then installs the package on the specified operating system image.
    </quote>

so perhaps you will be able to find a way to use that to help create your image.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:15 PM
  • Thank you very much, Robert!

Unfortunately, Get-WindowsCapability -Online | where Name -match "en-GB" did not populate the language list as it desired (reflected in the screenshot).

Here is what my ultimate goal is: How to get the custom LANG.INI file which is supposed to be in the Sources folder of the Windows 10 media deployed by the SCCM?

1. Generated the custom Windows 10 reference image using the MDT.
    2. Followed Add Language Packs to Windows https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/add-language-packs-to-windows and injected the 2nd language pack into the Windows 10 reference image.
    3. Generated LANG.INI file which included the 2nd language pack.

Need help: how to deploy the LANG.INI file with the updated dual-language Windows 10 reference image via the OS deployment with the SCCM?

Many thanks, in advance!!!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:42 PM