none
volsnap.sys causes XP SP3 setup error

Question

•  

When running the downloadable installer for SP3 I get the following error:

The file c:\windows\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys is open or in use by another application.

Close all other application and the click Retry.

This occurs during the "Inspecting your current configuration" stage where the Details section says "Performing inventory". I had all programs closed, and checked that system restore is turned off and the volume shadow copy service is stopped and set to "manual" startup, so I don't know what else to do. I've searched for this error relating to SP3 and haven't found anything. Has anyone run into this before? Any insight about how I can resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:46 PM

Answers

• Download and use "Process Explorer" to "Find" which process has volsnap.sys open.  Then we might be able to advise further.  You might also need to turn off some Startup items in "msconfig", and restart, before trying SP3.

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Thanks for the tip! It turned out that RTVSCAN.exe (part of Symantec anti-virus) was using the file. After a reboot I was able to install the service pack.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:33 PM

All replies

• Download and use "Process Explorer" to "Find" which process has volsnap.sys open.  Then we might be able to advise further.  You might also need to turn off some Startup items in "msconfig", and restart, before trying SP3.

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Thanks for the tip! It turned out that RTVSCAN.exe (part of Symantec anti-virus) was using the file. After a reboot I was able to install the service pack.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:33 PM
  • So, where in the hell is this DAMN file you speak so highly of - I've tried to find it but it isn't anywhere on the boards, M$ Support, or anywhere else I've looked?
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:41 PM
  • I have come up with the same problem. I have downloaded the Process Explorer and was able to find the file. However, if I attempt to right-click and select 'Close Handle' it will display a warning message saying "Forcing a handle closed can lead to an application crash and system instability. Continue with close?"

Could you please assist me further? It highlights certain files in pink....

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:58 AM
  • I have come up with the same problem.When i've tried to install sp3 on windows xp I get the following error:

The file c:\windows\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys is open or in use by another application.

I run process explorer but i can't find volsnap.sys to close it!!

Please answer at this message!!

I need your help 

Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:38 AM
  • By the way, if any clever folks think they can get around this problem by starting up the computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt and renaming the volsnap.sys file so it can't be used (and locked), you should know that doing so will make your computer unable to boot at all. It will try to launch Windows but will fail and repeatedly loop back to the F8 selection screen.

Of course, I learned this the hard way with my friend's computer who is somewhat of a drive away from me. So I can't just run over and fix it for him. Sigh.

Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:29 AM
  • I have come up with the same problem.When i've tried to install sp3 on windows xp I get the following error:

I run process explorer but i can't find volsnap.sys to close it!!

Please answer at this message!!

I need your help 

I'm at this moment with a customer, who is having the same problem. It turned out, that it's a virus.
    I've done the following to manage the problem:
    I found volsnap.sy_ in a temporary folder. I decompressed volsnap.sy_ to c:\windows\system32\drivers\volsnap.sy2
    I took a Windows XP-cd, and started the computer from that cd
    I chose R on the first menu, to enter the Recovery Console
    I changed to folder C:\windows\system32\drivers
    I renamed volsnap.sys to volsnap.old
    I renamed volsnap.sy2 to volsnap.sys
    I wrote EXIT (followed by Enter) to restart the computer
    I started Windows
    Then I was able to perform an update to the latest service pack
    Note: Windows WON'T start without volsnap.sys!
    Yours,
    Albert van Harten
    www.havecom.dk
    Friday, July 22, 2011 4:05 PM
  • The same thing happened to me.  I tried uninstalling unnecessary programs, scanning for viruses, removing unnecessary start up items from msconfig.  I tried replacing the volsnap.sys file with another but it wouldn't because it said the file was in use.  I then physically took the hard drive out and threw it across the street.. kidding!  I slaved the hard drive into another Windows XP computer and replaced the volsnap.sys file.  That fixed the problem.  It must have been corrupted.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:03 PM
  • I ran Process Explorer and found volsnap.sys but theres like 200 of them!!!! WTF??? I dont know what to do from this point. I've tried everything from registry cleaners to fucking virus removers. If anybody has any info please reply with answers.

Im having the exact same problem as the guy above word for word but when i run process explorer and find volsnap.sys it comes up as like i said lots of files. All appear to be the same thing to me i dont really know.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 5:14 AM