wininit.exe Virus, or a windows file????

• I just ran Process scanner from, and it said that wininit.exe where a dangerrous file, and i had to remove it. I came up with a program that turned off processes, and i turnd of wininit.exe. Then all i got was a bluescreen. I hawe scanned with Spyware terminator, Trend Micro PC-Cillin, but no one of theese found anny virus in this file. The file is located in C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe Annyone know if this a safe, or dangerous file, so i can remove it?

Thanks alot!!

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:39 PM

All replies

• is a good file in the directory and you need it !

if you have scanned your computer with a well know av product and it say it infected then you might have a issues

but if trend did not see an issue leave the file alone 

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:10 PM
  • sure this ones a good file. had it been situated in another directory it could have been malware ! thats the technique most malware writes do ! use a regular windows process name and place it in another directory to cause confusion.

shud u wish in future u can always get such single suspects scanned with multiple av engines at or :-)
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:18 PM
  • wininit.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:56 PM
  • It's an app that opens Windows 7 and who told you to delete it? If it was the computer shell terminal, (error messages) then just keep it scanned regularly.
    • Proposed as answer by Danielh32 Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:02 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Check the Process Library now on what it thinks of the wininit.exe process. It now says it is safe. It also gives info on what it is used for. This is one of the results on how to stop or remove the process:

Can I stop or remove wininit.exe?

Since wininit.exe is a system process it should not be stopped. The process is required for Windows to work properly

So it was maybe an error. It is suggested that you perform a Scan using other anti-virus programs.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:53 PM