none
What is windows 10 doing when it stucks on Restarting spinning circle? RRS feed

• Question

• My computer will stuck on Restarting Spinning Circle when doing restart test at a very low fail rate. I find the same issue could happen on windows 7 too. 

I read a document  OnOffTrans.docx which is released by microsoft I think. The shutdown transition includes the following phases: User session shutdown,System session shutdown, Kernel shutdown.

What is the phase when Restarting Spinning Circle shows up?
    What will possibly make the windows stuck at Restarting Spinning Circle?
    I think windows should do something when the shutdown was blocked at least tell user what (drivers, app) is blocking the shutdown process. So the user can make a next move, update or delete suspicious drivers or apps. I really wish that windows could be a better OS.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

• I have seen another post with similar issue being posted by some one. Check here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a4132f5b-9254-414a-bbf7-97ce1bb94959/after-upgrade-windows-10-stuck-on-blue-screen-with-circle-of-spinning-dots?forum=win10itprosetup

Jamie

Thank you, Jamie.  But they are different cases. I didn't update the windows. Just a fresh installed windows  with driver and apps installed, and then doing reboot stress test. And my issue did not happen at every reboot. The fail rate is very low.  I want to know what might be windows doing when it stucked. 
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Hi Emma_H_Wang,

What is the exact machine model? Are there any error messages or warnings recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Application, System)?

We could try to add the following registry key to show the Verbose status messages.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\System
    DWORD VerboseStatus with value "1".

We could try to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot whether the issue is caused by the third party software.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/929135

"The fail rate is very low"
    Usually we could use Windows Performance toolkit to troubleshoot a shutdown slow issue. But it is a little hard to troubleshoot a random shutdown issue.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:38 AM
  • Hi Emma_H_Wang,

What is the exact machine model? Are there any error messages or warnings recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Application, System)?

We could try to add the following registry key to show the Verbose status messages.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\System
    DWORD VerboseStatus with value "1".

We could try to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot whether the issue is caused by the third party software.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/929135

"The fail rate is very low"
    Usually we could use Windows Performance toolkit to troubleshoot a shutdown slow issue. But it is a little hard to troubleshoot a random shutdown issue.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thank you MeipoXu. 

I've check the logs. But there was no useful information. I find when system restarting there will be a system log "The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.Shutdown Reason: Kernel API" 。 But there was no such a log when it stucked at Restarting spinning circle. So I think OS did not send shutdown messages to app or services. All the app was still running normally, I can see apps running status from system logs. Why windows did not send the shutdown messages to apps while restarting spinning circle was showing up? What does windows generally do when the spinning circle shows up? 

I will try to add this registry key, may I know where I can see these verbose messages? Will they be in system/application logs?

About Clean boot. So many drivers and apps are in my system and the low fail rate make the clean boot an inappropriate way of trouble shooting.

Windows Performance toolkit, also an inappropriate way of trouble shooting. 
    Because the tool can trace a shutdown process only the when OS finishes a shutdown successfully, but in my case os will stuck forever if I didn't power off the computer by press the power button for 5 seconds. 

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:40 AM