none
Printing stops working after SP1 installs or KB943729 "Access Denied, Unable to Connect" error 0x00000005 RRS feed

• Question

• I currently manage a couple of university computer labs running on Vista. Printing from the labs worked fine until SP1 came out that included the update KB943729. After the install of SP1 the printers give the error: "Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000005). Access is denied." The printer status says: "Access denied, unable to connect."

At first, I thought that it was something to do with permissions on the printers but everyone is all access to the printers. I then thought it might be a domain issue. I setup a test lab with fresh installs of Windows Server 2008 (DHCP, DNS, Domain Controller) and Vista SP1. I setup one server with a domain with a functionality level of 2000 and the other with 2008. Neither of them worked. I am at a loss as to what to try next. Any solutions or help will be greatly appreciated!
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:00 PM

Answers

• In Windows Vista, only administrator users are allowed to install device drivers. The following article has explained this behavior and the solution.

Allow Standard Users to Install Drivers For Devices from Specified Setup Classes

Another solution is manually install the printer drivers on every computers and then direct them to the shared printer.

The following steps can be referred.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Printers.
    2. On Keyboard press Alt, then click File->Run as administrator->Add Printer.

When UAC window pops up, click Continue to go on.

3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

Then click Next.

6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, choose the correct driver in the driver list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arthur Xie - MSFT

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:39 AM