none
Windows Media Player 12 library problem RRS feed

• General discussion

• Every time when I fire up WMP my whole library is missing and WMP start to rescan all folders that I previously assign to Music library folder. It slow my PC very much. I got about 80 gigs of music files and this is a great impact on pc performance.

Sorry for bad english :(

Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• Every time when I fire up WMP my whole library is missing and WMP start to rescan all folders that I previously assign to Music library folder. It slow my PC very much. I got about 80 gigs of music files and this is a great impact on pc performance.

I've had basically the same problem. I've been running windows 7 rc 7100 x64 for the last two days and every so often when I open the media player it starts rescanning my media folders. It has also forgotten any changes to the files labels (album art, song name, star rating etc..) that I've added in the windows 7 rc media player. No problems with file clipping or deletion like in the beta though.

I've experienced the problem when running both the x86 and x64 wmp12 versions on x64.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 3:57 AM
  • my window media player in 7077 x86.....it has a big problems...when i open the window media player,it scan my music library,but it scan about 8-10 sec,it has a problem and close my window media player...why have this problems???

also in my media center it can't play my music,it always say have a problems about remothe contol with the media player,and then it close my media center= =why????

my english is so poor too.....I am in Hong Kong studying Form5= =
    Monday, May 4, 2009 10:36 AM
  • Same here. i was very excited at being able to use WMP 12 with its AAC support and get away from iTunes, but it loses my library on every close and has to rescan every time. As others have stated as well, all of my ratings and ID3 tag changes are lost. Does anyone know if an official bug has been filed for this?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:05 AM
  • Same issue here. However I found out that not allowing other computers to remote control the player (under streaming, perhaps everything else there should be disabled as well) seemes to fix it.

However, this seemes to be a bug for me and should be fixed.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:57 AM
  • I also have the same problem, but it extends into limewire also.  When I close limewire, and restart lime wire it pops the configuation screen.  I will continue to report any other issues as they come up
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:12 PM
  • I tried your suggestion and it seemed to work during the same login session, but the minute I rebooted or logged out I got the same symptoms. Unfortunately, I've had to revert to iTunes for now so I hope this gets resolved soon. I really like WMP12.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:07 AM
  • I was able to fix this by going into the "Network and Sharing Center" and "Change advianced sharing settings" and "Choose Media Stream Options" and Turning Off Meida Streaming. Now of coarse I can't play media on my Xbox but I guess it is better then nothing. This is a problem that I did not have on the Beta and needs to be fixed.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Hello,

I also noticed resource hog with Windows Media Player 12. When you have music library +20.000, after finished process added all of the tracks to the WMP library and close WMP. Next opening WMP causes high CPU usage and generates a lot of I/O bytes - i guess it is because WMP check all of the folders in library against any possibilities changes which could have done between closing and opening WMP.

It is really irritating I disable indexing of this library but the issue still exist, and my hard drive still working, all the time until I close WMP ;/

Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Mine keeps grinding away as well.  If there is no album art for an album, WMP12, more often than not assigns art from an existing album to "Unknown" albums.  Most of them then have the same album art.  The next time I load WMP, though,  it may very well be different.  At first, it was a Harry Chapin album.  Next time, it was Donna Summer, then Donovan, Glen Campbell, Donna Summer again.  I think the Doobie Brothers was in there at one time.  It's getting to be very irritating.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 7:23 PM

Having same issue on x64 7100 RC.

It's been driving me mad because everytime I go to play music in my living room, my Xbox 360 reports "No media found".

An average archive time for my entire library is around 30 minutes+ due to HD video content.

Really hope they issue a bug fix for this or at least have it fixed before RTM.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Just to add in my 2 bits - experiencing the same issue. Seems to be forever cataloging data in my music library. This behavior also seen when running Media Center/Media Center extender (all seems related). Makes things quite unusable. Using the Windows 7 "Release Candidate".
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:25 PM
  • There are some performance bugs in the RC with regards to scanning the library that should fixed or improved in the RTM version of Windows 7.  Thanks for the report. :)
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Happens to me also.

I've rebuilt libraries, un-installed WMP12, even used this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925718 in safe mode. The latter did however make WMP12 scan the directories and it did create a database but it did not show up in WMP12.

The database was created because the files that were originally deleted were re-created and their size increased dramatically (198MB) but eh contents never shows in WMP12. Other than that it plays movies, DVD's and MP3's n 4's fine.

Pixmania has been my friend since as that finds everything.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I have the same problem using Windows 7 x64.
    The library (about 2000 songs) is always
    rescanned. This is so annoying I hope
    there will be a patch soon?

Don't want to do hacks and workarounds to
    solve this.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:29 PM
  • I solved it this way:

1. Organize -> Manage Libraries -> Music / Videos / Pictures / Recorded TV

Here I removed everything so that Media Player monitores NO folders
    EXCEPT my own Music folder where my mp3 collection is located.

2. Organize -> Options -> Library

Here I have everything DISABLED. Only "Maintain my star ratings as global ratings in files"
    is ENABLED which is the best choice because if you make backups of your mp3s you
    also don't lose your star ratings because they are stored directly in the mp3 files.

3. Right-Click on the bar where the Prev/Next Arrows are -> Tools -> Advanced -> Restore media library...

Now the library is rebuild and when I close and open Media Player
    again my mp3 collection is instantly shown without a full rescan.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:37 PM
  • I solved it this way:

1. Organize -> Manage Libraries -> Music / Videos / Pictures / Recorded TV

Here I removed everything so that Media Player monitores NO folders
    EXCEPT my own Music folder where my mp3 collection is located.

2. Organize -> Options -> Library

Here I have everything DISABLED. Only "Maintain my star ratings as global ratings in files"
    is ENABLED which is the best choice because if you make backups of your mp3s you
    also don't lose your star ratings because they are stored directly in the mp3 files.

3. Right-Click on the bar where the Prev/Next Arrows are -> Tools -> Advanced -> Restore media library...

Now the library is rebuild and when I close and open Media Player
    again my mp3 collection is instantly shown without a full rescan.
    Sadly didn't work for me.

Recently though I've started having issues with a few things in Win7 which didn't exist before. Random Lockups, Failed startups, unable to rebuild the startup files then it restarts and its fine. Punkbuster not working correctly when it was fine for months. This always starts to happen after the most recent updates are applied. Bring on October

CPU QX9650 OC'd @ 3.86Ghz on air : MEM Crucial Ballistix 4GB @ 900Mhz : MB Asus Striker 2 Formula : GFX Zotac 8800GT 1MB AMp Edition x 2 in SLi : XBLADE Case : PSU OCZ 1000Watt : PVR Wintv PVR-350. Quad Boot - Win XP SP3, Win Vista SP2, Red Hat, Win7 Ultimate RC 7100.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Hello,

I also noticed resource hog with Windows Media Player 12. When you have music library +20.000, after finished process added all of the tracks to the WMP library and close WMP. Next opening WMP causes high CPU usage and generates a lot of I/O bytes - i guess it is because WMP check all of the folders in library against any possibilities changes which could have done between closing and opening WMP.

It is really irritating I disable indexing of this library but the issue still exist, and my hard drive still working, all the time until I close WMP ;/

Hi,

does anyone know if this issue is fixed in Windows 7 RTM ?

Thanks,

Creer
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Just wanted to add a "me too". Running WMP12 on Windows 7 x64 RTM and it scans my large library on the network for over an hour and then all of a sudden all of the icons in WMP turn into red x's and my library is gone.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 2:26 PM
  • @duckworth: Me too to what?  Does using the "Reset Media Library" tool allow the library to be rebuilt correctly?
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:18 AM
  • I am having problems getting my mp3 collection loaded into WMP 12 with Windows 7 Home Premium x64. It takes forever scanning my 450 GB mp3 collection and then one by one all of the music added just removes itself. I tried to delete the database files and start over and that did not work. I guess I will continue to use J River Media Center for my main media player. It is disheartening to know however that I can no longer use Windows Media Center on my expensive D-Link DSM-750 wireless Media Center extender. Microsoft...CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THIS?!?!? There should not be a complicated trial and error pull-your-hair-out nightmare to use a media application!

ADDED INFO: Everything was working fine with Windows Vista Media Player and Media Center...it is only a problem with new Windows 7 versions.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:21 AM
  • @duckworth: Me too to what?  Does using the "Reset Media Library" tool allow the library to be rebuilt correctly?
    "Me too" to this whole thread. I have tried everything and my library still dies and disappears. I have posted my specific issue and steps in a separate thread
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/537df80b-4b7b-40fd-950f-0fdc2bec7935
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:48 PM
  • @NH43: How did you "delete" the database files... ?  Did you use the Reset Media Library tool or try it your own way... ?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Hello all. Just to add in my 'guess what, it's happening to me too' comment.... This is crazy.. One thing that did work for me was to try it in a new profile on the same machine and it has so far rebuilt and not crashed. BClancy hit the nail on the head - how did this get to RTM?! This is starting to drive me nuts...

However.. today, I seem to have made progress.. as stated above, all seemed to be well when creating a new Profile and importing in the same way. I then deleted that profile, as it was only a test, but it did successfully import my whole library. I then went back to my original and main profile, and reset the permissions on my music folder allowing the WMPNetworkSvc full access then switching straight back to read only. I did all of this with the Windows Media Network Sharing Services in a stopped state.

I started WMP 12 earlier this morning and allowed it to rebuild the library and it has now completed - I closed and opened media player and it was still there, then rebooted and again, it was still there. Weird, but not complaining. I will add to this post if it goes wrong again.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Well, I am not sure if this is a temporary fix or not, but I went into 'Media Center - tasks - settings - media libraries' and added My Documents folder to the Music library, and it quickly found all of my music and when I go back into WMP, my library is there.  

Monday, November 16, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Hi there - further to my earlier post, it has been marked as a solution for this similar post..

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/w7itpromedia/thread/537df80b-4b7b-40fd-950f-0fdc2bec7935

It's worth giving it a go, as I have had no further issues since - i'd be interested to see how others get on.

Cheers
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:14 PM
  • I have the oposite problem ... my WMP won't update it's library and since I change it a lot, it's always wrong ... files that no longer exists are listed (and cannot be removed), files that I renamed show twice ... ____ loose.

Please MS, get a patch for WMP12 ASAP, I can't believe we are stuck with this beta player so long.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:20 AM
  • If files are listed and cannot be removed (?), the Player's Tools:Options:Restore Media Library will reset the library and should allow it to be rebuilt correctly.  Caio, does that work for you?
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Hello all. Just to add in my 'guess what, it's happening to me too' comment.... This is crazy.. One thing that did work for me was to try it in a new profile on the same machine and it has so far rebuilt and not crashed. BClancy hit the nail on the head - how did this get to RTM?! This is starting to drive me nuts...

Basically the problems with the library disappearing, crashing, going out of sync with the actual files, have been there since the beta release. They have never been fixed (but zachd gave the impression they would be fixed in the RTM).

When we finally got the RTM version, the library problems were in reality only partially fixed....

It would have been much more effective to issue emergency corrections during the testing period rather than react to all problems with the same "yeah we know, it going to be fixed in the RTM" standard answer.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I don't think I said anything of that sort, and if I said anything remotely of that nature either you're taking it out of context or I posted while thinking about something else entirely.  (There were a number of library issues that were addressed, and the most important was that the Reset Media Library tool was at many times non-functional.  Those issues were to my knowledge addressed.) The "library is not perfect" proof is in the pudding: the library corrupt troubleshooting wizard and the Restore Media Library option are there because it may be entirely possible that the library could potentially become corrupted at some point, and those gives you easier steps to move back to normal.  The library should generally be more stable in WMP12, but it's a complex area with tons of moving parts.

There's two future-looking angles to this:
    1: How do I fix myself up?  This should generally be handled via the Restore Media Library option or the "create library on second user profile, copy it to first / broken profile" hack.

2: How do I prevent the library from getting corrupted?  That's the responsibility of the WMP dev team, as I'd figure it, and that would generally require that they have the ability to know how you got into that kind bad state.  That would likely be an extremely tricky repro.  For example, my libraries are all fine: why?  What's the delta/difference between our systems/usage?  Identifying that missing piece(s) of data is the $64K question. =\

Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:15 PM
  • I have finally gotten WMP12 to import my entire library. I had my library cataloged with an alphabetical folder structure and I was able to add a letter at a time until complete.

The only problem is getting the extenders (XBox 360 & D-Link DSM-750) to load the library successfully. I was able to use these extenders with Vista and libraries loaded up easily. They only go through the same process that WMP12 did when I tried to add entire mp3 folder to library...they spend 1-3 hours loading artist/album info, only to choke, gag and spit out everything until there are no artists/albums in library at all.  If I didn't have extenders I would just give up on MS media products, but I'm pretty well stuck with it.

The CPU usage and memory usage levels are maxed out for hours and then nothing! I am so aggravated right now it's not even funny. MS designed a pretty slick looking new Media Center but I have not even been able to enjoy it for a single minute!!!  Hours of wasted time trying to jimmy this and tweak that because MS can't be bothered to develop and troubleshoot their OWN software properly.

Windows 7...it will be SO MUCH BETTER...NO BUGS LIKE VISTA, EASY...SIMPLE...FAST....................BULL$$HIT

MS...YOU LIED or GOT REALLY LAZY WITH MEDIA DEVELOPMENT.......IT IS BROKEN and WE WANT IT FIXED!!!!!!!

I'm really thinking of looking into a MAC...(DID I JUST SAY THAT???)  I hate Macs so WIN7 must be pretty bad :(

apologies for rant, but I am so pi$$ed right now :)

Bill Gates....wake the ____ up and crack the whip before you lose even more users!!!!!
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:32 PM
  • that's preety true -.-.... ive been looking hours, days for a solution for my broken library, it worked at first well, but it decided to go lazy now. i cant change any directory for music. this is really ____ me off and there's like no solution over the 23478923472873428734723487287 threads about the same god damn freaking library!
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:05 PM
  • This is utterly ridiculous. I just paid 200 plus dollars to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 and it appears I am stuck with a buggy version of WMP12. I have a 40,000 file mp3 library and everytime I import my music (my files are on an external USB hard drive) and exit WMP, when I restart the program my library is gone! Come on MSFT! I need a patch for this Sheit.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:04 PM
  • I'm also facing the same annoying problem, but surprisingly enough, on one platform only (I have 3 PC running Win 7, and only one affected by the broken library syndrom).
    It's worth noting that I used SyncToy 2.1 to synchronize my music folder with an external HDD.
    I've also disabled WMP sharing service manually (but it was anyway not running since I'm mostly connected on a public network), but nothing has changed.
    Everything I flush the library, WMP indexes well (with some CD covers errors though), but all the changes are lost after exiting WMP.

I suspect a RW right problem, because evertime I reopen WMP, it displays the default 3 win7 stock songs, despite having deleted them in the public folder.

Any hint? Does MS plan to release any fix? After reading many boards I noticed that many people seem to complain about the same problem.

Thanks.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Any hint? Does MS plan to release any fix? After reading many boards I noticed that many people seem to complain about the same problem.

Same here. :-( I just can't find a fix for this. Anyone have any ideas?
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:32 AM
  • Still no idea... I have 3 PCs running Windows 7 and only one is affected. I wonder what is the trigger. The affected PC is running Home Premium while the two others are running Business.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:40 PM
  • If you let the player completely rebuild the library (leave it on overnight, perhaps?) and only then shut it down, does the library persist?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:42 PM
  • No, it won't solve the problem. Ultimately only the default music (the Windows stock one) will be indexed, not my Music folder. I feel that it's linked with the media sharing feature, but I can't tell how.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:19 AM
  • This is utterly ridiculous. I just paid 200 plus dollars to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 and it appears I am stuck with a buggy version of WMP12. I have a 40,000 file mp3 library and everytime I import my music (my files are on an external USB hard drive) and exit WMP, when I restart the program my library is gone! Come on MSFT! I need a patch for this Sheit.

I've had a similar problem with music stored on a NAS and have just discovered a fix that worked for me. I don't know whether this will help you or anyone else, but I thought I'd contribute to this forum because so many people seem to be having problems with WMP12.

My fix came from solving a small issue regarding my network drives.

I had noticed that everytime I booted Windows 7 up, an error message popped up complaining that Windows couldn't connect to all network drives. This was strange because even though there were red crosses through the network drives in My Computer, when clicked on they worked fine ie. the drives were connected. As all my music was stored on one of the network drives, I figured that this could possibly be confusing and messing up my Windows Media Player. To be honest, I don't know too much about how WMP 12 works, but I was already grasping at straws.

To fix the "couldn't connect to all network drives" problem, I added a password to my user account. Up until then, Windows opened up without having to sign in. However, once I added the password I was able to log in and all the network drives appeared to be connected without any red crosses or messages. Miraculously, after clearing and rebuilding my entire library, I haven't had any trouble since.

I don't know whether this is just a coincidence, nor do I know the trigger that caused WMP12 to go beserk in the first place. Anyway, I hope this helps somebody.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Sorry, this is not applicable to me since I've had a password-protected account from day one.

Come on Microsoft, PLEASE dig into this problem, this is extremely annoying...

Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Try resetting the media library manually:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the search field, and press Enter. The folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, rename the Media Player folder to something like Media Player old . If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, you should now have a clean library.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, March 29, 2010 6:34 PM
  • ^-- They probably would want to stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service as well to ensure that the library isn't still in use.

Monday, March 29, 2010 10:48 PM
  • I just had this problem as well.

Looking at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Programs, Windows Media Player Settings / Library shows that it is corrupted.

I told it to do the repairs and said it fixed it but that is a lie. Do the scan again and still corrupted.

Anyways this workaround worked, sort of.. Not really!

Though I had to stop the service twice.

You know when it's working since the next time you run WMP it will show "Updating Library" at the bottom of the window.

Sadly not all the files are showing up on XboX 360.

All them show up in Libraries\Videos and in WMP itself and yet XboX 360 is not seeing them. It should.

XboX 360 saw all the same files just fine when running Vista SP2.

So lame!!! WTH is going on?

Update: OK, it's a permission problem.

See: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8316/permissionsproblem.png

Specifically, an ownership issue. My account owns the file on the left while the file on the right is owned by a non existing user.

After become the owner of the file I then can right click on it and click share with home group and now the file shows up and plays just fine on my XboX 360.

Would be nice if WMP was smart enough to take ownership of the files when it adds them to the library.

Update2: OK thought Id share how I fixed this..

First you need to create this reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /k takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant Users:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /k takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant Users:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /k takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant Users:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /k takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant Users:F /t"

After importing the reg file now when you right click own a folder you now have a "Take Ownership" option.

So right click on the folder you want to have in the WMP library and click Take Ownership.

Right click again on same folder but this time click on "Share With > Home Group (read)".

Problem solved. :D

Note though sadly you have to manually do the "Share With Home Group" for all files within any subfolders. :(

Anyone know of a command line tool that can do that for you? Sure would save me a ton of time.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:30 AM
  • I have a solution - it's to do with Library Sharing.  I had the same problem on Windows XP / WMP 11 until I turned sharing off - after doing that the problem stopped happening.  I was also getting the problem in Win7/WMP12, until I did the following which I got (and tweaked) from another forum.  WMP12 makes it difficult to turn sharing off.  Here's how you do it:

- Reboot the PC.

- Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service . If its status is Started , double-click the service and click  Stop. Then change the Startup Type drop-down to Disabled (that bit was my tweak).

- Go to Start, type  %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.

- In this folder, rename the Media Player folder to something like Media Player old . If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.

- Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt - hopefully for the last time.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:27 PM
  • LIME WIRE ?  for God Sakes DANGER ! DANGER ! Will Robinson......

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:36 AM
  • My problem and SOLUTION as follows; Hope this helps.

Some of the music which shows in the MUSIC subfolder in the LIBRARIES main Folder in Windows 7 does not appear in Windows Media Player. Some music could be added to WMP and some could not. There seemed to be no rhyme nor reason.

I read a lot of info on various forums before doing anything. Some of the recommendations were pretty drastic anmd involved doing all sorts of things with registry settings , reloading Windows 7 and reloading WMP. All risky .

My solution was to rename the MUSIC folder (eg Music 1) and then change it back to MUSIC . I  then did a restore music library. It rescanned for a while . Then stopped and touch wood all seems ok now.

You might want to try just renaming the Music library first to see if this resolves the problem , without the restore. Worked for me and far less drastic than messing with the registry, reloading Windows or WMP. 

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Doesn't anyone else think that maybe microsoft should focus on the unbearable library problems with WMP & Media Center before they do ANYTHING else?  The problem gets worse as times goes on and the more media we have.  It's pathetic that the WMP doesn't function properly seeing as it's Microsoft's own program and one might say a flagship program.  The 2 minutes of unresponsiveness when opening either program is getting to the point of jumping ship.

And don't get me started about x64 of these, it only multiplies the problem.... get your feet moving Microsoft.
    • Edited by topmoo Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:18 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:17 AM
    1. A WMP novices' explanation of why WMP uses such a huge amount of resources.  Only files that can be played on WMP can be added to the library but WMP recognizes other formats when it does the automatic scan and tries to add them too. If there is a file that is corrupted, has a codec missing or is a format that can't be read the library update will continue to try to access that file creating a bottleneck. I converted all my video files that were mp4 and mkv types which WMP can't/won't read over to avi (using AVS video Converter) and this solved the problem.
    2. Updating playlists has become more trouble than it is worth. As I understand it, WMP scans your files for any changes and updates the library automatically if you have selected that option. Check to see what folders are being monitored and deactivate ones you don't want to be monitored (any folder with media in Documents and Settings is added automatically but you can select "ignore" for those and have your playlist files outside of Documents and Settings)Even though I drag re-labeled files into the playlist and save this version, WMP still seems to store file names that are several generations old. Even deleting the playlist, creating a new one and dragging the files with the new file names into it does not seem to update WMP. I don't know where this old info is being stored but if anyone does I would like to delete this data base. Sync does not fix it either. As a result I have bypassed the "playlist inside documents and settings option" and use the "folders outside of documents and settings option" instead. You have an extra click to open the folder but that is a smaller price to pay.
    3. Since these issues have been discussed since May 2009 and after many updates to WMP, this issue has not been addressed when it would appear to be simply a copy/paste one, don't look for it to be resolved anytime soon. I tried to use the VLC Media player's playlist option instead of the WMP but WMP recognized the VLC as another device. At the time I thought this was a bad thing but now I'm thinking why not set up my playlists on the VLC and delete all the WMP ones? The VLC playlists don't seem to have the issues WMP has. Has anyone tried using VLC or other media player in conjunction with or (preferably) instead of the WMP. By the way I tried to delete the WMP to resolve the resource issue in #1 and couldn't so I deactivated the service in Control Panel (add/Remove Windows Components). VLC could not link to my Xbox directly so I had to start WMP up again.
    Friday, March 9, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Davkars Hobby:
    1. How many times will WMP continue to access those specific files? On what is your claim based? If you have any logs (e.g. from Process Monitor) supporting this then please post them as well.
      Are you using WMP 12 on Windows 7? There should be native support for MP4 there.
    2. WMP should indeed update the library automatically when files renamed but I'm not sure if it also updates playlists. Does it update the library for you? You can check by looking at the File Name column in WMP's library. To enable this column, right-click a column header (such as Title) and select Choose columns.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Did you try and update the player? it has a "manual" update feature as well as getting the updates from Microsoft

via the windows updates that you can set to notify only, download and ask when to install. The "manual" update for media player 12 is in the "help" section of the toolbar and ias labeled as "check for updates", hope this helps...good luck!

Sunday, April 12, 2015 2:52 AM
  • I fount that disabling the Volume Levelling option helped.  It seems to want to process each file before adding it to the library.  It's acceptable when ripping an individual CD but not when you're rebuilding the entire library.
    Friday, January 19, 2018 10:11 PM