Virtual Machines RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use a virtual machine on my laptop.(windows8.1, amd a8 1.8, 6GB, 500GB) Is there a version of Virtual PC to use or should I use Virtual Box, or VMware. Wanting to be more proficient with some tech skills on some different OS's.

Thanks

Lmattr30

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 2:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Lmattr30,

I'm using Oracle VirtualBox for many years on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (RAM: 24 GB).
    So, I'd like to recommend you to use VirtualBox, and I'm afraid 6 GB RAM is not necessarily sufficient.

To run a virtual machine, sufficient RAM is required both for HostOS(your Windows 8.1) and GuestOS(a virtual machine). 
    Of course, it means "cannot run virtual machine", but "more RAM is desirable ".

Good luck.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:20 AM
  • VirtualPC is no more.  Windows 8 began to include Hyper-V.  Being a type 1 hypervisor it has hardware requirements.

If you cannot meet the Hyper-V hardware requirements, then there are type 2 hypervisor options such as VirtualBox.

Your system has plenty of resources to run small VMs. Just don't expect them to run at bare metal performance. And size them appropriately to not starve your OS.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Lmattr30,

I'm using Oracle VirtualBox for many years on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (RAM: 24 GB).
    So, I'd like to recommend you to use VirtualBox, and I'm afraid 6 GB RAM is not necessarily sufficient.

To run a virtual machine, sufficient RAM is required both for HostOS(your Windows 8.1) and GuestOS(a virtual machine). 
    Of course, it means "cannot run virtual machine", but "more RAM is desirable ".

Good luck.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:20 AM
  • VirtualPC is no more.  Windows 8 began to include Hyper-V.  Being a type 1 hypervisor it has hardware requirements.

If you cannot meet the Hyper-V hardware requirements, then there are type 2 hypervisor options such as VirtualBox.

Your system has plenty of resources to run small VMs. Just don't expect them to run at bare metal performance. And size them appropriately to not starve your OS.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

I would consider upgrading your machine to Windows 10 and using Hyper-V.

As others have said you can use Hyper-V in Windows 8.1 Pro also if you didn't want to upgrade.  Also, I would certainly recommend upgrading the amount of RAM available in your machine.  Ideally, I would recommend at least 8GB of RAM to run a VM with 4GB.

Thanks.

Kind regards, Kev

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Hi Lmattr30,

Based on your description, since Windows 8.1 has Hype-V function, we may try to run virtual machines with client Hype-V.

For more information, please refer to the link:

Run virtual machines on Windows 8.1 with Client HyperV:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/hyper-v-run-virtual-machines

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:25 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 11:39 AM