none
chkdsk error (766f6c756d652e63 3f1) on windows 7 system reserved partition

Question

• i'm having quite an anioing issue with my computer. everytime i boot up chkdsk wants to run on the windows 7 system reserve patition for consistancy. Now what happens is it trys to and and it gives me this: Cannot open volume for direct Access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package. Use system restor to bring it to a time before the software. An unspecified error occured (766f6c756d652e63 3f1). Well i've worked on computers for years and never seen this before. i've looked at other threads but nobody has had this problem on the system reserve partition. So I've also tried booting to the dvd and runing command promp and runing chkdsk from there and what happens is because the partition is write protected it won't run there either. also i've tried the memory diagnostic tool and nothing is found. I would also like to avoid a fresh install at all costs. So if there is any ideas on which setting(s) need to be changed to allow chkdsk to run on the system reserve patition that would be awsome.   

Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:59 PM

Answers

• wow I somehow just fixed it. I assigned a letter to the system reserved and out of coriousity I went to tools under properties and tried to click on error checking link again(which by the way never worked the other million times i tried it) and the link worked it said i needed to dismount the drive to run and then it ran and it said fixed the problem and i rebooted and no error so i think it is fixed thanks for your help
    • Marked as answer by zzrman Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:40 PM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:40 PM

All replies

• wow I somehow just fixed it. I assigned a letter to the system reserved and out of coriousity I went to tools under properties and tried to click on error checking link again(which by the way never worked the other million times i tried it) and the link worked it said i needed to dismount the drive to run and then it ran and it said fixed the problem and i rebooted and no error so i think it is fixed thanks for your help
    • Marked as answer by zzrman Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:40 PM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Hi There,

I'm having the same problem you described, but I don't understand your explanation of how you fixed it.  Could you please write back and tell me step-by-step what you did?  I'd really appreciate it, because like you, I want to avoid a fresh install!

Thank you!

Monday, April 19, 2010 11:02 PM
  • I am having the same error could you please explain what you did so I can fix my computer. Please make it easy to understand I am not computer illiterate but I am not a pro either. Thanks!
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:05 AM
  • hello,I had the same question yesterday, and I resolved it with a windows7 DVD. 

put the disk into the CD/DVD driver, then boot your system from the CD/DVD. when you see the installation interface, follow the steps given below:

1.Click  repair your computer, then you will have several items to choose

2.Click command prompt.  

3.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
     chkdsk [drive]: /r /f. 

i.e.  chkdsk F:/r/f   press ENTER

the process will take you about 40min.

the drive path is the partion which you have installed the windows system,not C:. in the first step, there is a dialog box and it shows you the location of the windows. i.e. windows(F:)

• Proposed as answer by Tony Herrera1 Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:53 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Hello !

In my case, i resolved in a BIOS configuration of HD, i disable de Raid option on Sata controller.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:47 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and don't understand what you did to fix it.

Could you please explain again step by step? Thank you.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:36 PM
  • are any of you still having this problem? if so i can go through the steps that worked for me.

Monday, July 26, 2010 6:36 AM
  • I am having this issue and don't have the Windows 7 DVD as it came preloaded without the DVD.  Any chance you could outline the steps without it?

Thanks

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:51 AM
  • hey JasinClaire this is how i fixed it for me. go to start and hover your mouse over my computer and right click then go to manage and open disk management. and find the system reserve partition right click on it and it will give you the option to change drive letters and paths. at that point assign a drive letter to the partition ,any letter will do. then once you go through that just go to my computer and left click and once you see your new letter assigned partition right click on it and go to properties and click on the tools tab and under the error checking section click check now and if i remeber right it will ask you if you want to mount the drive. if it does just click yes(you want to do that) and run the error check and once its done go back and remove the drive letter and reboot and there shouldn't be any error on startup. i hope this helps, if it doesn't work or you have questions let me know.  
    Friday, July 30, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Hey zzrman I am having the same problem but when I right click the system reserve partition to designate a drive letter the only options I can click on are "delete volume" and "help". Do you know anyway I can change the drive letter a different way? I am stumped. Thanks!
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 6:53 AM
  • sorry i do not know why ours doesn't have that option. maybe try partion magic, there is a free version on cnet.com for download
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Thanks zzrman! I ended up finding a hotfix for the problem! Thank you!
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Could you please tell us which Hotfix it was?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 8:27 AM
  • I can't remember what the Hotfix is called but the link I got via the email from Microsoft is

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/WindowsServer%202008%20R2/sp1/Fix291962/7600/free/396288_intl_x64_zip.exe

and the password that I was sent for the week from the 11/8/10 is T_ur{YWXi 

I hope this is able to help you!

Friday, August 13, 2010 11:40 AM
  • I don't know if my error message is a result of the same situation, but when I boot up my computer, I also received the same message:

"Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package. Use system restore to bring it to a time before the software. An unspecified error occured (766f6c756d652e63 3f1)"

I was hoping that this error would eventually disappear, but it did not.  All the autodiagnostics did not result in any errors.

I saw in other forums that the antivirus program may be at fault.  My Norton 360 subscription was up, so I installed the Norton Internet security instead.  After this, the error message disappeared.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:33 AM
  • I had the same issue as Ohio Mom. I'm running Windows 7. I uninstalled Norton 360 and Chkdsk was able to run at boot.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:06 PM
  • 抱歉,我英语不好,看不懂!!!!发中文行不,朋友?

Monday, January 10, 2011 7:45 AM
  • @Zake Jing Zhang Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals

please write in English, here.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, January 10, 2011 1:07 PM
  • I found something that worked here: 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/An-unspecified-error-occurred-766f6c756d652e63-3f1/td-p/267276

The Startup Repair fixed my problem, good luck!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Run a "Startup Repair" as follows:

• Shut down your computer
    • After pressing the power button to start, start tapping F8 (about once per second)
    • A screen will appear with "Repair Your Computer".  This should be the first option - hit enter to select.
    • A dialog box labelled "System Recovery Options" will appear.  This says "Select a keyboard input method".  Press "Next>" for US.
    • At the next screen select your login name and enter your password.
    • On the next screen, select the first option: "Startup Repair". (There are other handy options here.)

For me it said "Attempting repairs" followed by "Repairing disk errors".

Once it was done, there was an option for "Diagnosis and Repair details."

For me this said:

"Root cause found:  System volume on disk is corrupt.  Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk). Completed successfully."

I rebooted and everything was fine.

An easier option might be to schedule a chkdsk directly.  I ran a chkdsk without repairs earlier and it claimed everything was fine.

To schedule a chkdsk:

• Press the Windows "Start" button
    • Select "Computer"
    • This lists Hard Disk Drives - click right on C: (the most likely suspect)
    • Select "Properties"
    • Select the "Tools" tab
    • Select the "Check now..." button
    • Leave the option checked for "Automatically fix file system errors"
    • Press "Start"
    • It should prompt for a reboot, after which it will check and fix your drive.

If that doesn't work, also try checking "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

With neither option checked, it scans for errors without fixing.  As mentioned, it reported no errors for me, but perhaps it needs to scan after rebooting and this requires checking the first option.

I would also recommend that you order or create your recovery discs.  For the dv8, under "Support & Drivers" I was able to access a manual called "Backup and Recovery User Guide".  This has a section called "Creating recovery discs."  You might also find this on your computer by search for "creating recovery discs" under "Help and Support".

• Proposed as answer by keggers Friday, January 21, 2011 2:45 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Thanks, Kegger; first option worked. You made my son extremely happy (and made a Dad actually look "tech savvy").
    Friday, June 15, 2012 11:32 PM
  • thnx dude second one worked like a charm thank u very very thnx!
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:12 AM
  • I had the exact same error and nothing mentioned on any of the links worked. Finally I saw that my AVG was not updated and was giving some error. Once I updated and restarted the disk scan ran and it removed corrupted files. And problem solved!!!!!
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:26 AM
  • is this suppose to take this long? am doing first option as well and i have been waiting for 2 hours
    Friday, May 30, 2014 8:14 AM
  • I found the same thing with my son's 2nd hand computer! Updated it, restarted computer, still got the same error message! :( Was so annoying! Opened AVG again on restart, it said it required updating again BOOOOO! Restarted again after components updated...same error message YET again...OML. Went through zzrman's steps again, then restarted...no bootmanager grrr, press ctrl/alt/delete to restart then f10 to load to partition 2...almost ready to give up!! Restarted, this time I will uninstall AVG (because it sucks anyway LOL). In the meantime, must wait while computer loads...maybe just get another computer.........will see how this goes???!!
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:41 PM